Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Buenos Airies to Cordoba

ARGENTINA | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [632]

Our ever helpful host directed us to a traditional café close to our guesthouse (Bar Cao on Independencia Ave) so that Steve could partake in his promised steak and wine meal in Argentina.  Some things just have to be done!  The wood dominated décor and excellent ambiance made it a great last evening in Buenos Aires.  In fact it was so good we decided to splash out on a cheese and meat platter to finish off the meal.  Well, we’re not dessert fans and we’d been watching the chef carefully slice platters all evening and couldn’t resist.  Despite it being quite a decadent pig / blow out we are still well within budget.

The following morning we were up very early to catch the 7.30am bus to Cordoba.  We’d read that most people don’t go out until late and in fact clubs don’t even bother opening before 1am.  We thought it must be a bit of guide book exaggeration but sure enough as we were getting started for the day the young, fun loving Buenos Aireans were just making their way home.  Another thing the travel guides got right was to reach the bus station at least half an hour before departure time.  There are hundreds of buses so tracking down the right platform took some time.

Sure enough we got the system sussed and patiently waited for our vehicle which duly turned up in time to get loaded and set off on time.  The streets were pretty much deserted so we progressed towards the city limits quite quickly.  It gave us a much better perspective as to the scale of the city and in fact it took ages to leave the industrial belt behind.  I’d like to say we went through some fantastic scenery and we were glad the airline had gone bust and we’d been forced to travel over land.  The truth is that we travelled for mile after mile for hour upon hour through flat, open, empty farmland.

The route affectively followed the River Plate up to Rosario (another main town) before cutting across country towards Cordoba.  The only slight incline we saw was when the bus pulled off the highway and had to go up the flyover to get into town!  We saw plenty of farm animals including lots of cows of course but the most surprising thing is how many dogs there are over here.  They are literally everywhere – even pottering down the central reservation – unfortunately they haven’t all learnt their green cross code.

Despite the fact that the bus stopped at every little town along the way we pulled up in Cordoba bus station on time and 11 hours after leaving Buenos Aires.  We jumped in a taxi and were soon checking into Babalonia Hostel http://www.babiloniahostel.com/en/ where we are once again the oldest backpackers in town.  It’s a great little hostel with very helpful and friendly staff and it’s in a good location near one of the main squares.  We’ve got all day tomorrow to explore.

To say that our command of Spanish isn’t improving would be an understatement – here’s what I mean:  The taxi driver knew where we needed to go as we had the name and address of the hostel on our reservation confirmation print-out.  That was fine until we approached the street which turned out to be bisected by a main road and the taxi driver wanted to know which way to go.  He was speaking away but in this age of mobile phones we duly ignored him.  Something alerted Steve that this may be the wrong thing and asked me; “Is he talking to me?”  I pointed out that I didn’t know but suspected he might be to which Steve replied; “There’s no point him talking to me!”  On the plus side we’re getting very good at pretending to understand on checking into hostels, nodding and saying ‘Si” in what we can only hope is the right place!

We crashed out early yet again last night but for once slept right through – the best night’s sleep we’ve had in weeks.  In theory we should have been feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed but we seemed to end up having a slow start to the day.  Maybe it was just what we needed after all that was involved in packing up the flat and leaving KL.  Not to mention the fact that once we reached South America we hit the ground running and haven’t given ourselves much breathing space.  Without a Lonely Planet for Argentina we have very little information on Cordoba so just intend to go for a wander and see what we can find.

We knew there was an old part to town so we headed in that direction.  Unbelievably the weather is glorious again and in the sun it’s actually warm enough to get down to just a t-shirt layer.  That’s not to say we’d be foolish enough to leave the guesthouse without a fleece!  Cordoba is Argentina’s 2nd biggest city so much of it is just a functional, university city.  However, there are lots of old buildings to admire with many of them being a church or cathedral.  It’s great to see them being preserved and well looked after.  The biggest difference we instantly noticed between here and Buenos Aires is how much cleaner it is.  Plus the graffiti is much reduced and there is none to be seen on the old important buildings.

The main pedestrian shopping area was very busy – on a Monday morning? – so we quickly walked down it to look at Plaza San Martin and realised that we needed some sort of focus for the day.  As luck would have it there was a tourist information board so we armed ourselves with a map and came up with a plan.  We decided to steer clear of the busy shopping area and walk around the outskirts of the old part of the city along the river.  It wasn’t majorly picturesque or anything but it stopped us sitting in a café spending money unnecessarily just to do some people watching.  It didn’t take too many hours for us to have had enough of wandering the streets so we returned to the hostel for a brew and some journaling.  We have another long travel day in store tomorrow but hopefully we’ll start seeing more interesting landscapes.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.