Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

India – Trekking, Toy Trains and Tea

INDIA | Saturday, 14 April 2012 | Views [850]

For those of you who have a good knowledge of this vast and varied country the title may have helped you to pinpoint our latest trip; Darjeeling in North East India.  Although we plan to spend the second part of our year out exploring the Himalayas further I insisted that we had one last fix of India before leaving Malaysia.  Air Asia once again kindly made the decision easy by offering cheap tickets to Kolkata just when we needed them.  Getting the visas sorted out was far from straight-forward and they proved to be the most expensive visas we’ve ever bought.  It wasn’t quite the hoop jumping shenanigans we had to go through for the China visas but Steve returned to the office more often than enough!

KL – Kolkata - Darjeeling

The flight over was on time, smooth and uneventful.  Immigration was the same and our bags were ready and waiting.  Sod’s law says that if you give yourself a cushion of time you’ll end up having far too much time to kill.  There is very little in Kolkata airport so we headed straight to the train station.  The airport’s taxi coupon system works and we were delighted to be bundled into an old ambassador.  It was already dark so negotiating the traffic clogged streets of Kolkata wasn’t an option.  So we wandered aimlessly around the station for a while, found the canteen and had the world’s cheapest veg thali meal at only Rp22.  That still left us with over 5 hours to kill so we found a spot to sit down and got on with some serious people watching.

Our train eventually rumbled into the station and mayhem ensued.  There were people, luggage and goods strewn along the length and breadth of the platform.  As soon as the engine had finally braked into position there was a mad scramble for the 3rd class carriages.  The presence of lathi wielding policemen ensured that the melee quickly and quietly formed itself into an orderly queue.  It was amazing to witness; from chaos to calm in seconds.  Indian’s rail system move millions of people on a daily basis and the intercity trains tend to be very, very long.  Sure enough we spent the next 15mins walking down the platform trying to locate our carriage.  We soon found our pre-booked seats so got ourselves settled.  Despite being exhausted we didn’t get very much sleep due to a general hubbub of noise throughout the night.  Once the sun was up it was lovely to watch the paddy fields and villages rolling by.

The train doesn’t actually go as far as Darjeeling but terminates in New Jalpaiguri then from there you can get a bus or shared jeep up the hill.  We decided that since we weren’t on a strict budget we’d fork out for a private jeep.  In fact we got a small van that proved to not be particularly powerful but it managed to chug its way up to Darjeeling at 2100m.  Well, once we’d made a detour to the repair shop to get the boot fixed.  Usually getting the hammer out and randomly tapping away gets it fixed but not this time; the driver even had to buy a spare part.  Still, in true Asian fashion it was all quickly sorted out and we were back on the road.  It was very hazy as we climbed up to Darjeeling so the views weren’t as good as we’d hoped for.  However, we enjoyed the journey up into the Himalayan foothills and were looking forward to better views as we approached town.

 

 

 

Darjeeling

This turned out to be a much larger town than we’d imagined with the main road being rammed with fume belching, horn honking jeeps, trucks and cars.  However Clubside, where most of the hotels and restaurants are, is compact and the market stall areas are pedestrianised.  We soon tracked down Golden Heights Enclave but were a little bemused at what we saw.  Basically it takes up the top 2 floors of a block of flats so didn’t look very appealing from the outside.  However, our room was perfectly adequate despite the complicated shower system – 5 taps!  Just to add to our woes there wasn’t any electricity at the time of checking in and there was no way we were braving a blast of freezing water!  The sitting / restaurant area is enclosed by glass giving great views over the town and surrounding hills and mountains.  That’s according to the pictures adorning the hotel’s walls but it was way too cloudy for us to have that treat.

We were hungry so set off in search of momos and a pot of tea.  We achieved the first objective very well but Steve simply couldn’t find a decent brew for love nor money.  Darjeeling is very much geared up for Indian tourists so if you want sweet, over milked tea in a doll’s tea cup you’re laughing.  Try getting a pot with milk and sugar served separately and you’re in for a disappointment.  Without a set plan for the afternoon we found ourselves wandering aimlessly so decided to set off towards a monastery.  Luckily this got us away from the people and traffic clogged streets and into an all-together much more pleasant area of town.  We never did find the correct path down to the monastery but we knew it wouldn’t be the only one we’d encounter this trip.

Even though we knew it was probably going to be a mistake we decided to try the local hostelry.  The clientele didn’t bat an eyelid when we popped in – even though there was a girl ordering and drinking beer!  Now Indian beers range from just about potable to down-right disgusting; how did we fare?  Since we’d stumbled into a drinking den they only had strong, chemical laced beers.  We shared one and legged it!  That left us with a pub that looked more traveller friendly so we weren’t beaten yet.  Joey’s Pub was a much nicer place to sit and they had normal strength Kingfisher lager that tasted better but it was still too chemically for our liking.  By now it was time to get some much needed sleep.

Singalila Trek

Day 1

This 5-day trek in the Himalayan foothills basically follows West Bengal’s borders with Nepal and Sikkim and affords spectacular views of Khangchendzonga; India’s highest peak.  We awoke bright and early, sorted out what we would need and what we would store at the hotel and poked our noses out to take in the view.  Unfortunately all we could see was cloud; we couldn’t even make out the adjacent buildings.  That wasn’t going to stop us so a-trekking we would go!

It’s possible to book the entire trek from Darjeeling including transfers but our research had led us to believe that this wasn’t really necessary and would cost quite a lot more.  In fact we’d been quoted a price of Rp18 500 so kept a note of our expenditure in order to calculate the difference at the end.  We could have saved ourselves even more rupees by taking a shared jeep to the start of the trek but we wanted to get the show on the road so forked out Rp800 for a private hire.  It’s less than 30kms but road conditions aren’t the best in these parts.  The journey was enjoyable, once we were beyond Darjeeling and Ghum’s traffic, even though it was still very cloudy.  We didn’t get any views but we did go through some lovely forested areas and small rural villages.

In Maneybhanjyang, the starting point of the trek, the first port of call was to have our passports checked.  That done we then popped over the road to the Society for Highlander Guides and Porters Welfare Association Office (phew!) to arrange a guide.  It’s all very well organised and they make sure that the guides and porters are on a rota and receive fair pay.  Within minutes we’d paid for (Rp600 per day) and met our guide (Ajay) and were ready to start the trek.  At the other end of the village there was a brief stop to pay the park entrance fees (Rp200 per person & Rp100 per camera) since most of the trek would take us through Singalila National Park.  Let’s trek!

The first 2kms went straight up a jeep track so we soon warmed up despite the thick cloud.  At the top the cloud thinned a little giving us tantalising glimpses of views down the valley but still no mountains.  A little further along the track we visited a monastery and this was where having a guide was invaluable.  Not only did he explain everything to us but it meant we were invited into rooms that we wouldn’t have felt comfortable entering ourselves.  We were astounded at the excellent level of English our guide had as we’d assumed you’d only get that on booking a private trek.  Ajay proved to be very knowledgeable and we enjoyed his company.

Following elevenses, where I made friends with their cat, we continued along the jeep track.  There were quite a few lazy tourists (predominantly Indian) cheating by being driven up, so the track was busier than expected.  Luckily the path meanders through the tree lined sides of the jeep track too and using that was much more pleasant.  By lunch time we’d bumped into our friend David who’d travelled from KL with us.  It was pure coincidence that we’d booked to do the same holiday at the same time.  Obviously we stopped for a chat but thought we’d probably be on different schedules and only meet up in the villages at the end of each day.  David had gone for the private, all-inclusive trek and other than travelling together from KL to Darjeeling he wanted his own space. 

The lunch stop was at 2400m and occasionally the wind blew the clouds away enough for us to glimpse down the valley.  A bowl of warm, tasty noodle soup was most welcome but it didn’t take long for us to start feeling cold so we set off again.  Following the ridge the clouds thinned a little and the route became increasingly scenic.  Within the hour we’d caught up with David again and it turned out our 2 guides were friends too.  We all wondered just how much of the trek we’d end up doing together!  Our path wound its way up to Tongla which at 3070m would be the highest point of the day’s trek.  Once again I can’t regale you with descriptions of the scenery and views.  It didn’t take us long to cover the couple of kilometres to the Border Outpost where we had to have our passports checked.  Why?  The path now continued over the border in Nepal and remained on that side of the imaginary line to Tunling (2900m) where we would spend the night. 

Siddartha Lodge’s sign welcomed us to Nepal and Steve wondered why on earth he’d bothered going to all the hassle for the Indian visas!  The lodge was as basic as you’d expect for Rp500 but amazingly had an en suite bathroom – not that there was electricity or running water.  However, our guide appeared with a pot of hot water so at least we could freshen up.  There was also a communal sitting area to relax in that had a veranda attached so of course we had to poke our noses out.  We were delighted to see that conditions had improved so with time on our hands we went for a potter.

The village consists of very few houses with most of the inhabitants raising livestock and growing their own supply of veggies.  The clouds cleared enough for us to be able to look down on Nepal on one side and India on the other with the jeep track dividing the two.  From what we could see it looked like the route would be predominantly in Nepal which explained the familiar tea house set up.  Our wanderings took us to the top of a little knoll and from there we got our first glimpse of snow-capped peaks.  We could only hope that this was a sign of the weather improving.  Since there were only 4 Western tourists (we’d got chatting to a German girl by this stage) staying at the lodge they sensibly clumped us all together and placed pots of dhal, rice, salad and popadoms on the table.  The guides were being a little too attentive; believe us, this is not the first time we’ve eaten Nepali/Indian food!  Asking for chillies only led to them watching our every move even more closely – I’m sure things will be more relaxed tomorrow once we’ve all got to know each other a little better.  Early to bed with the promise we would be woken at 5am if sunrise over the mountains was worth getting up for.

Day 2

Disappointingly there was no dawn wake up knock despite a storm keeping us awake but hopeful that it would shift the cloud.  The skies were displaying small patches of blue but more than anything we were thankful that the rain had stopped.  Initially the path undulated along the ridge and then descended towards Gairi Bas at 2600m.  It was noticeably warmer and we were now walking through forests of rhododendron, daphne and magnolia trees that were in full bloom and a cheery sight.  The path/jeep track, with jeeps still coughing and spluttering their way up, steadily climbs back up to 3000m.  About half way along there was a 2km section that was very steep.  David was marginally ahead at this point so Steve threw down the gauntlet and said, “You’re not going to let him get to the top first are you?”  Well that was all the encouragement I needed so upped my pace slightly and powered my way to the top – first!  The locals know exactly where to place the tea houses so of course after that little work out we had to stop for a brew.  Trying to get black coffee, no sugar was proving impossible so I had to go for black tea – I don’t even like tea!

I forgot to say – at the base of the hill we stormed up there is an area of forest that is fenced off.  It transpires that this is a half-way home for red pandas that are being introduced to the wild having been born in Darjeeling’s zoo.  As you know we’re not huge fans of zoos but thought we ought to go and support their efforts to protect this highly endangered and incredibly beautiful animal.

As we were approaching Kalpokhari at 3200m the clouds obliterated the patches of blue sky we’d been enjoying that morning.  In fact as we were walking towards the tea house it started hail stoning.  We got to the hut in the nick of time as within minutes the frozen raindrops were pinging off the corrugated iron roof.  Worse than that was the background accompaniment of thunder.  We feared the worst and were delighted to note that by the time we’d finished lunch it was dry again.  Granted the cloud was thicker than ever but at least we weren’t getting soaked through too.  The path mooched along to another check-point at Bikaybhanjyang and then went straight up 800m in 4kms to Sandakpu and our day’s end.  The initial and final kilometres were particularly steep with a bit of a respite in the middle.  Since we were over 3000m most of the way there was no racing this time!

On reaching Sandakpu – 3636m and the highest point of West Bengal – we’d reached the snow line where we all cooled down very quickly and could feel the bite of the wind.  The first lodge the guides had in mind was full so we wandered into town to try another, bigger place.  They were full too so the guides left us supping a warm drink while they went to investigate the rest of the options.  They returned with glum faces as it turned out that everywhere was full.  Or as David’s guide put it; “David, we have a problem!”  We jokingly said we’d happily bed down in the yak shed for the night but apparently they’d already checked out that option; you guessed it – full.  Hmm!

So how come everywhere was full in the middle of a cloud in the middle of nowhere?  Well, it turned out it was a holiday weekend and Kolkatans had block booked the lodges - who’d have thought Easter would be a public holiday in India?!  Fair enough but what galled us was these were the lazy buggers who’d got there by jeep!  In the end we were left with one option – to walk back down the 4km steep hill as it was a full day’s walk to the next village.  Not ideal but by now we were all freezing and just wanted to know we had a roof over our heads for the night.

The place we stayed in that night was not the best to say the least but the lady of the house cooked some excellent food.  Unfortunately for her the only warm place was by her kitchen fire so she had to perform her tasks with an audience.  By now we had to admit that we were a group of 4 with Sabrina being officially one of the gang – we’d even got as far as introducing ourselves!  As I’ve said not an ideal situation but we made the most of it and the camaraderie helped to ease a potentially uncomfortable situation.  With nowhere comfortable to sit and the weather far too grim to venture out in we retired early.

Day 3

The day dawned the grimmest yet and as we were emerging from our sleeping bags it started to rain.  Luckily the precipitation didn’t last long but it soon became apparent that we’d be spending the day in a cloud – AGAIN!  Despite our lack of window pane we’d not been as cold through the night as we thought we would be so got a bit of shut-eye.  We descended on Aunty’s kitchen again and were soon ravenous on watching her rolling out and toasting chapattis on the open fire.  Together with Bombay potatoes they made the best meal yet and we were ready to walk back up that 4km hill.

In the end it didn’t seem as arduous as the previous day but then we knew what was in store for us and it was at the beginning of the day.  As we re-approached Sandakpu we noticed that the snow-line was considerably lower and in fact we ended up trudging through said white stuff.  Walking on snow had not been on our list of expectations for this trip!  Following a quick brew and passport check we were ready for the next section of the track.  The guides wanted us to hang around while they waited for our pack lunch to be prepared but we said it was too cold to be sitting around.  This was where forming one group went in our favour as one guide led the way while the other two waited for our food. 

Once we’d rounded the corner we found ourselves back in Nepal.  There aren’t any markers or anything but the guides love to tell you when you’ve crossed the border.  I’m sure this section of the trek would have been lovely had visibility extended beyond 20m.  We were walking through a yak meadow dotted with weird and wonderful tree formations.  The path descended for an alarming length of time and then continued going on down.  We knew our lunch stop was back at 3500m so we were going to be getting another good work out.  Sure enough the guides stopped us for a short break in a sheltered dip before ascending the 3kms up to Sabargram.  The path steadily continued and we slowly plodded along through the increasingly worsening conditions – once more hailstones were bouncing off our coats.  Lunch turned out to be the most uninspiring yet - boiled eggs and boiled potatoes; with Sabargram being nothing more than a shelter and ticket inspection point.  To add to the fun / misery it was now raining.

Then the guides announced that there was no accommodation available in Phalut that night – here we go again.  So the map was spread across the table as we tried to work out our options and pin the guides down on where there was a bed for the night.  In the end we had little choice but to make a detour 2kms down the hill to Molley.  We were assured of beds for the night but we’d all have to share one room – things were just getting better and better!  By this point we were all shivering with cold and realised that the rain had eased so set off.  It was blowing a gale as we walked down but it did feel marginally warmer down there.  Well, once we were in dry clothes and tucked up in our sleeping bags that is!  Unbelievably the weather actually deteriorated.

In the end we spent almost the entire 16 hours we were in Molley holed up in our sleeping bags.  We only emerged when food was brought to our room.  They had no choice but to serve it there as there wasn’t any where else to sit.  Worst dhal & rice yet by the way.  Obviously the arrangements were far from ideal and once again we felt sorry for David who’d paid for a private trek to end up being lumped in with us lot.  As with the previous evening we made the most of it and all had a good chuckle but decided that the next day we would choose different options.  Sabrina was on her way to Nepal for more trekking so decided to head down and out.  We decided that we would carry on no matter what leaving David to make his decision in the morning on assessing the weather.

Day 4

I would love to tell you that we woke up to glorious sunshine but I think you’ve already guessed that I have to tell you that we were still enveloped in that dense cloud.  The walk back up to Sabargram didn’t take long and from there we followed the ridge for 7kms to Phalut at 3600m.  The walk was pleasant enough but we had to imagine how lovely it would have been in better conditions – we seemed to have to use our imagination quite a lot on this trek!  Following a quick brew stop at Phalut it was time to start the real Day 4’s walk.

The path soon descended into pine and rhododendron forest and as soon as we were lower than 3000m conditions improved considerably.  We saw the odd patch of blue sky and even the occasional glimpse into the valley below.  We even ventured down to t-shirts but in the shade of the trees it wasn’t long before I had my coat back on.  After a long walk with some very steep downhill sections we emerged from the forest into Gorkhey Village at 2100m.  This quite sizeable, pretty village is spread up and along the banks of the rivers Gorkhey and Rammam and is dependent on agriculture.  Despite a heavy (potato based) breakfast we were mighty peckish – well we had walked 24kms by midday.  It was lovely to get back to bowls of warming veggie noodle soup – no spud!

With time on our hands (the afternoon’s trekking would only take a couple of hours) we went for a potter around the village.  The valley sides are incredibly steep here and it amazing that anyone manages to plant crops let alone build themselves somewhere to live.  Although it was warmer once the sun started sinking behind the high valley sides we knew it was time to move on.  The next section to Rammam was typically Nepali flat i.e. 2kms up, 2kms down, 2kms up steeply and the final 2kms a stroll into the village.  By the time we’d reached Sherpa Lodge in Rammam we were back up to 2400m.  So now we were back on track and back into privately owned lodges not government run shelters.  This one proved to be by far and away the best although there hadn’t been much competition along the way had there?  Anyway, we were delighted to get private rooms, buckets of hot water, somewhere nice to sit, fantastic food and treat of treats a charcoal burner under the table while we ate.  It really doesn’t take much to turn a shabby place into somewhere worth writing about.  We fully expected this to be our biggest bill yet but it turned out to be the cheapest – honestly; only Rp400 for the room and the same again for all our food.

To sum up the day’s walk:            Molley to Sabargram to Phalut to Gorkhey to Rammam

                                                                                    2kms           +  7kms    +  15kms     +  8kms         = 32kms

                                                                                Plus there was a total altitude change of               2000m.

 

A bloody good day’s walk and I think we deserved a bit of luxury!

 

 

 

Day 5

The day actually dawned bright and we could feel the sun’s rays.  We still couldn’t see the hills and mountains above us but had lovely views looking down into the valley.  Once again we were going through agricultural land and marvelled at the houses perched so precariously and seemingly defying gravity.  We set off quite early to cover the 13km to Rimbick where we would catch a shared jeep back to Darjeeling.  Even though Ajay had phoned ahead to book tickets and seats he said we needed to get there in plenty of time to reconfirm our places.

Although it was a relatively short walk and we had plenty of time we still took a short cut.  This of course involved a steep descent into and across the valley and with a steadier climb back up the other side.  The scenery was lovely, the birds were chirping and finally the weather was our friend.  With plenty of time to spare in Rimbick we indulged in a plate of fantastic freshly made momos that were ridiculously cheap.  Obviously it didn’t take us long to wolf them down so we went for a potter around the town too.  We’d imagined a smaller version of Darjeeling but were proved to be very wrong.  The town is peaceful and picturesque with all the houses brightly painted and decorated with plants and flowers. 

By the time the jeep was timetabled to leave they had more than enough customers for the number of seats.  So it was once again a case of budging up and in fact Ajay was relegated to riding on the roof!  As we were leaving town we spotted David once again and he got the last laugh on seeing me sharing the driver’s seat knowing he had a private car waiting.  To be honest I wasn’t too uncomfortable and soon got into the rhythm of shifting my leg every time the driver needed to change gear.  At least being in the front meant we both had good window seats and could enjoy the views looking over towards Sikim.  Unfortunately it wasn’t long before we descended into cloud and those up on the roof got very cold.  After a couple of hours of narrow, twisting, steep roads with hairpin bend a-plenty we were back at Maneybanjyang and the start of the trek.  Ajay jumped down and we bid him a hearty farewell.

In theory the going should have been faster for the second half of the journey but the fog had thickened and there were many more vehicles around.  We managed to reach the outskirts of Darjeeling in reasonable time to then crawl the last 10kms in an almighty traffic jam.  Indian’s still drive as gung-ho as ever despite the road safety campaigns.  We’d seen a few warning signs similar to those on the Ley to Manali road with a couple of them being much more to the point.  For example: Better to Arrive Late than Dead – see what I mean?!  Or as Steve more amusingly put it: Sharp Bend Ahead – Please Start Texting!!  It wasn’t pleasant to back in among the noise, chaos and pollution.  We may not have seen the mountains on the trek but at least we’d had perfect peace, pristine air to breathe and were getting lots of exercise.  It was good to get a hot shower and comfortable night’s sleep though.

Darjeeling (again)

We’d left ourselves a day to explore Darjeeling further and to do a couple of short walks in the area.  Well that was the plan until I poked my head round the curtain to find we were deep inside a cloud once more.  On then hearing rain pouring we decided to stay put and wait for the rain to ease before heading towards breakfast options.  Suddenly Steve shot out of bed yelping – our ceiling was leaking copiously so that put pay to our lie in.  We grabbed buckets to catch the worst of it, threw some clothes over our jarmies, contacted the hotel staff, shoved our things into bags and shifted rooms.  Suffice it to say we were now wide awake but ensconced in a waterproof room!

Did we have a Plan B?  Of course we did – remember the toy train?  They’ve kept some of the old coal powered steam engines going and drag them out every day for the tourist’s to partake in a joy ride.  This takes about 2 hours in total and costs Rp260 a head which we thought was good value for something different and fun to do.  In true Indian fashion buying a ticket wasn’t as straight-forward as going to the counter and handing over some rupees.  Oh no!  You have to fill out a form to apply for a ticket then present it at the counter – luckily they still had tickets left.  This left us with an hour to kill but I’m sure you’ve worked out by now that there is never a dull moment in Indian.  We wandered over to the engine shed and watched the men readying the train.  It’s amazing and environmentally a little disheartening to see how much coal is needed for one short journey. 

By the time we boarded the train the rain had eased and the clouds had lifted a little so we could see down into the valley.  The train slowly, slowly puffs its way up to Ghum a mere 7kms away.  Along the way the train takes in a loop of track and stops for you to take in the 360o views of the area.  We’ll have to take their word for it as we were blanketed in cloud again by this point.  The train track runs alongside the road and crosses it on numerous occasions.  To be honest we thought that would cause undue mayhem and chaos but disappointingly the traffic was quite light.  Mind you, people and their stalls have to make sure they’re carefully positioned.  The train finally huffed and puffed its way into Ghum station (the highest in India) where we had 20mins to potter around.  On the return leg the train takes in the loop again but doesn’t stop and you guessed it the skies had cleared.  We blinked and blinked again; but no, we were right, there were the tops of the high Himalayan peaks just distinguishable from cloud.  We’d been in the area a week, trekked for 5 days in the very same mountains to finally get a glimpse of what the postcards had promised.  A grand little trip.

Back in town we were peckish so went to indulge in some more Tibetan fayre.  The cheese and veggie momos turned out to be the best we’ve ever had and our light lunch ended up being a bit of a feast.  Well it was difficult not to order a warm bowl of soup, Tibetan bread to dip in ............  So feeling rather full we were glad we’d saved the more energetic activity for that afternoon.  We’d decided that we would visit the zoo in support of the efforts they are making to help the red pandas.  It turned out the zoo was quite well laid out and they are in fact trying to help Tibetan wolves and snow leopards along with the adorable red pandas.  Not only that, there are numerous information boards educating people on the need to protect this special environment.  Most of the animals have quite large, natural pens but obviously you can never give a big cat enough space in captivity.

Within the zoo’s grounds there is a mountaineering museum which we found very interesting.  The entire museum is Sherpa Tensing inspired; the adopted son of Darjeeling.  It’s amazing to see the gear and equipment (or perhaps that should read ‘lack of’) that was used in the 50’s, 60’s and even the 70’s on Everest expeditions.  It makes you wondered how they ever summitted the highest peak on earth.

On ambling back into town Steve spotted a sign reading ‘Lookout 100yds’ so we thought we’d go and have a look.  We were incredibly glad we’d made the detour – finally the whole of the Himalayan range was in view.  Granted not all of it was very clear and we still didn’t have that blue sky backdrop but it was there along with a multitude of lower ranges that make up this wonderful area.  We could now go and buy the postcards!  That night we set the alarm in the hope that the mountains would still be clear the next morning for sunrise.  We duly dragged ourselves out of bed but to be honest wished we hadn’t bothered.  Although, it was interesting to watch the local early risers exercising, praying to the mountains and generally having a mad half hour.  Once we’d packed our bags we glanced hopefully out of the window one last time – the mountains were there again.  We dashed up onto the roof to enjoy the splendid views but by 7am the whole lot had disappeared again.

Still we weren’t too disappointed as we were ready to leave Darjeeling for the next leg of our trip.  As we were walking towards the shared jeep stop Steve got his wish and a Siliguri bound jeep with seats to spare spotted us and stopped – we’d only just emerged from the hotel!  I in turn got my wish as we were given the back seat but they didn’t attempt to squeeze 3 people on.  So our downward journey was covered in relative comfort and the weather steadily improved as we descended.

Zurantee

Our tea plantation treat started in Siliguri where we were picked up in a private car to take us to the colonial bungalow.  It was a lovely journey up the rolling hills and of course we saw tea bushes by the thousand.  We were very warmly greeted at Zurantee and it quickly became apparent that we were the only guests – how much fussing was that going to lead to?  The room we were initially shown was very odd – we knew the fixtures and fittings would be worn around the edges but we’d expected them to be older.  Instead of old wooden colonial furniture we found ourselves gawping at 1960’s / 70’s plastic veneer chipboard, tacky lamps and nick-nacks.  Since the place was clearly empty we had a snoop around the other rooms and found one that was more to our liking – we settled for the Diana room.

I think initially both of us felt that the place wasn’t going to live up to expectations even though we hadn’t anticipated top luxury.  The staff (of whom there were at least 10!) were clearly only used to dealing with Indian tourists and didn’t quite know how to handle us.  In return we felt a bit awkward but once we’d all got each other sussed things started to feel more relaxed.  On speaking to the manager we soon gleaned that they didn’t have any more bookings so we would really be living the tea planter’s life!  We had just unpacked our things when a knock on the door informed us that lunch would be served in the dining room.  We tried to talk them into letting us have lunch in the garden but were looked at as if we were barking mad.  Little did we know lunch consisted of a 3-course feast and wouldn’t have all fit on one of the garden tables!  To say the food was plentiful is a gross understatement and to say it was all delicious doesn’t do it justice.  In fact the information card in the room told us that the planter was disciplined on his timings and etiquette.  Here’s the breakdown:

6.00 – 7.30 am   bed tea                                                                                                                                               8.00 – 10.00 am breakfast                                                                                                                                             1.00 – 3.00 pm    lunch                                                                                                                                                    6.00 – 8.00 pm   snacks and drinks                                                                                                                             8.30- 10.30 pm   dinner

Plus:      Dinner to be served in the dining room only.  Drinks to be enjoyed amidst nature or in the entertainment room but never in one’s living quarters.

That was us told and who were we to argue since we had the run of the place anyway.  We found that meal times were dictated for us but that was mainly due to the staff needing something to do!  All of the food was exceptionally delicious and by the end of our 2 nights there we’d been treated to everything they prepare.  As soon as we relaxed into the ambiance of the bungalow we really did start to treat the place like our home.  We commandeered whichever table, veranda or gazebo that took our fancy outside and watched the news and IPL cricket at leisure in the entertainment room.

We’d actually paid for a package so it wasn’t all sitting around eating and supping G&T’s – there were activities to do too.  First up was the rather grandly titled Manager’s Day Out but it didn’t quite live up to its billing.  Things looked promising as while we were sat supping tea in the garden the plantation manager popped in to say hello.  He was berating us for sitting around when the weather was so good and we were just about to say well let’s go when he stood up and disappeared.  Apparently it wasn’t going to be the manager’s day out at all but someone with very little English drove us around the tea plantation and we popped into the factory.  It wasn’t very well organised – no factory tour as such just a shuffle round and we’d have rather walked around the plantation than drive.  We did get chance to do just that on the final day and very pleasant it was too.  I think Steve could fancy himself as a tea plantation owner!

The safari to Goramara National Park was a proper trip where tickets had to be bought and jeeps and rangers hired.  This is only a tiny park and we really didn’t expect to see anything other than a couple of monkeys and maybe some birds.  There is reported to be lots of different animals living in there but it’s very difficult to see them.  The beast all the locals hope to see is guar; a type of wild buffalo and now very rare.  There were plenty of birds flying around but no one seemed interested in them.  The only feathered friends we were permitted to stop and look at were peacocks – well they are the national bird.  It’s always nice to see them and it was lovely to see some very young chicks.  Disappointingly we didn’t see any monkeys or deer but eventually a long way down a track we spotted guar.  It was very difficult to see them but they were definitely there.  Once they’d wandered off we set headed towards where we’d seen them only to find a couple in the undergrowth close to the road – a positive identification this time.  As we were watching them we could hear an elephant clearly upset by our presence but we never saw it.  We hadn’t expected much from the park and actually enjoyed the trip. 

On the way home we had the gross misfortune to hit a cow – not our fault as we weren’t driving but upsetting non-the-less.  Obviously for our Hindu driver this was a very distressing event as it leads to bad karma; the cow wasn’t too chuffed either!  On the way home we stopped off in a village for the driver to purchase some arrack to settle his nerves on returning to the bungalow!  As we were waiting a storm began and the lightening was so low that it hit the little shop in front of us and shorted all the electrics in the area.  We had intermittent power cuts that evening but power was quickly restored each time.  Our bad karma soon put in an appearance when a bunch of tea plantation workers turned up – they were there to put on a cultural dance show for us.  This was not in the package and was excruciatingly embarrassing since Steve and I were still the only guests!  It was lovely of the manager and staff to want to pull out all the stops and give us the full package but ……….

On arrival we were a little bemused by the place and felt that we’d paid over the odds for this treat.  By the end we thought that having a private colonial bungalow and living the planter’s life had been a great experience.  Considering all the food, trips and transfers it proved to be very good value.

Kolkata

Our overnight train trundled into the station early and we found the place much calmer than when we’d left a week ago.  We’d worked out a bit of a walking tour to sample city life, the river and some culture that would nicely fill the time we had before heading to the airport.  Firstly we stowed our bags in left luggage where the sign told us not to leave any food in bags due to rats!  On stepping out of the station grounds we were met with our first obstacle – how to get over the main road?  The streets forced us in the wrong direction and on rounding the corner were told we weren’t allowed to walk down the main road.  So we returned to the station to get our breath back and work out just how on earth you’re meant to explore the streets.  We’d noticed that the subway was conveniently shut but had incorrectly thought it led to Kolkata’s underground train.  Upon realising our mistake we worked out that the subway actually goes under the highway we’d just failed to navigate.  We were having some breakfast waiting for the shutters to open when lo and behold David pops up.

The subway was surprisingly deserted and we quickly found ourselves in a shopping / market district that was full of the usual Indian sights, noises, smells and bustle.  As large Indian cities go this has to be one of the friendliest and laid back.  We wandered the streets without being hassled, were warmly greeted and of course many Indians love to have their photo taken.  As we approached the ghat area David managed to steal the show by stopping to have a shave from a street side barber.  This caused plenty of quips from Steve and within minutes David had a sizeable audience with the young dudes clamouring to have their photo taken with the daft foreigner!  Even the local bobby found it worth a ring side seat and enjoyed the banter.

I understand the history and religious significance of bathing in the ghats but how people manage to muster up the courage to place their heads under such filthy water I’ll never get.  Still they were all merrily enjoying themselves and again weren’t in the slightest put out or annoyed by our presence.  Steve’s walking tour then took us past Eden Gardens and through the green, peaceful medan area ending up at the Victoria Monument.  A splendid and very grand building that has been lovingly looked after over the years despite it harping back to colonial rule.  There are some interesting displays and collections inside and varied enough that at least one should appeal to most people.

We wandered back towards the train station via different roads trying to find a good place to eat but the area had changed since our guide book was written.  Never mind in the 12 years it had been since Steve was a backpacker in town.  Obviously we didn’t struggle to find some tasty treats and in fact it’s difficult to walk past many of the street stalls without partaking.  We retrieved our bags and jumped in a taxi to the airport where we ended up with time to kill.  On pooling our rupees we worked out we had enough for one round of Kingfisher lager so supped up while reflecting on what a fantastic holiday we’d had despite the weather being against us most of the time.

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.