Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Sabah – Land beneath the Wind

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 30 October 2011 | Views [908]

For those of you who avidly follow our travel tales you’ll know that Steve and I have visited Borneo on many occasions, but we felt that Sabah hadn’t been explored as much as Sarawak.  Not only was it time to redress the balance but we were determined to find those Borneo pygmy elephants and the elusive wild orang utan.  My nature and wildlife loving Mum was in town for what will probably be her last trip to Malaysia (since we’ll be moving on soon) so we decided to pull out all the stops.

 

Sandakan

 

We flew with Firefly from KL to Sandakan and then jumped in a taxi to take us to Sepilok Jungle Resort.  The rooms here are basic but the lovely gardens and good food made the place feel like it was okay value for money.  We didn’t see the point of basing ourselves in town as we knew our first port of call was going to be Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre.  Now I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of this place as I feel they allow way too many people in at once.  For a much better experience I can’t recommend the centre in Semenggoh, Sarawak highly enough.  Still it’s always good to support places that are doing great education and conservation work and you can’t tire of watching big orange apes in their natural environment.

 

As always the viewing platform area was crowded and as ever people ignored the pleas of the keepers to be quiet and to refrain from using flash photography.  Luckily people’s predictability doesn’t end there and we knew if we were patient they would all leave as soon as they seen an orang utan.  Only one female came down but she had a young baby with her and it was lovely watching them interact.  The pig tail and long tailed macaques put in their usual appearance and tried to steal the show with their antics.  As predicted the bulk of the crowd moved off as soon as the orang utan had had her fill and swung back into the dense foliage.  We decided to watch the macaques for a while as Steve was determined to finally get a good photo of the pig tailed variety.  You don’t see them as often as the long tails and we’ve never been close enough to try to get a decent shot up until now.

 

As luck would have it the same female orang utan returned to check she hadn’t left any tasty morsels behind.  Our patience was rewarded; we were got to watch mum trying to teach her baby to climb.  Mind you, considering how high up in the trees they were it was very much a make or break lesson for the little one.  A lovely experience and we felt it was an auspicious start to our wildlife adventures of Sabah.  We’d booked the bulk of our trip through Nasalis Larvatus Tours who proved to be very good and fulfilled all their promises.  First and foremost a van turned up on time and in the right place to take us to Nature Lodge on the banks of the Kinabatangan River.  Let the real wildlife spotting begin.

 

Kinabatangan

 

We stayed in Nature Lodge’s Agamid wing where the chalets were much better than the rooms we’d left behind in Sepilok.   We’d booked a 3D/2N package that included accommodation, transfers, food and most importantly our river cruises.  Our first boat trip was that very evening and we knew we’d just enjoy travelling along the banks of the river even if we didn’t see much in the way of wildlife.  I say that but you always hope you’ll see at least a couple of different types of animals. 

 

This first boat ride turned out to be very much the primate spotting one and Steve and I felt he didn’t really try to find anything else.  It’s probably not fair for us to say that as everyone else on our boat had a great time.  It’s not their fault that we’ve already been on the river a couple of times and have seen all the monkeys before.  I can understand that if you’ve never seen a macaque then to have one a matter of inches from your head, completely in the wild, would be a great experience.  I suppose not everyone has long tailed macaques running along their balcony as they’re tucking into breakfast, as happened to Steve in KL!  The best part of this boat ride was of course seeing proboscis monkeys – they are not common and it was wonderful to see them in big numbers.

 

That evening’s activity involved a night time trek around the resort’s grounds in the hope of seeing some interesting small nocturnal beasties.  It had obviously been raining steadily for days (well we had planned our trip during the monsoon season) and the path was a quagmire.  I decided that it wasn’t going to be much fun wading through ankle deep mud in the hope of spotting the odd insect and declared I was heading back after about 50m.  Mum was hot on my heels and obviously relieved that she didn’t have to endure sliding through the mud in the pitch dark.  Steve decided he would go for it only to return to declare we’d made the right decision as they saw ................... nothing!

 

With animals preferring to be most active at dawn and dusk this wasn’t going to be a holiday of lie-ins and lounging around.  Sure enough we were up at the crack of dawn!  For those who weren’t good at getting up so early the resort sounded a gong to indicate it was time to get your act together.  That morning’s boat ride was very similar to the previous evenings with lots of monkey activity but there were more birds around too.  We’d hoped to see something different and felt that our guide hadn’t really put much effort into the trip.

 

To fill in the time between dusk and dawn boat rides we had the option of going on a walk through the jungle to an oxbow lake.  With already knowing what the conditions were like underfoot Mum chose to sit this one out.  We knew she’d be happy pottering around the resort grounds and sitting on the balcony armed with binoculars and bird book.  The path was as muddy as I’d expected judging from the state Steve’s trousers were in from the previous evening.  Walking in wellies might not be ideal but it beat getting caked in oozy mud which in places was so deep it almost went over the top of my boots.  At least in the daylight we could work out the best route through and we were never going to be at top speed as we had jungle trekking novices in our group.

 

There was no way we were going to spot any wildlife as we were making far too much noise squelching and squerching along.  However, it was worth the splodge as the oxbow lake was lovely.  It gave us time to have a chat to our guide about the boat trips we’d been on so far and the wildlife it was possible to see in the area.  We made sure he knew this wasn’t our first trip and that this time we really hoped we’d get to see the elephants and maybe orang utans.  Obviously we knew this was a big ask but he then proceeded to tell us that both of those animals had been spotted in the area recently.  However, it seemed the elephants were too far down river for us to be able to get to a likely viewing area.  We squelched back to our chalet via the boot washing area to find that Mum had indeed enjoyed her time pottering.  Not surprisingly she’d seen umpteen more birds that us and a water monitor had practically walked over her feet.

 

With there basically being nothing to do other than enjoying being in the great outdoors it was amazing how quickly the afternoon whizzed by.  Before we knew it the gong was bonged and it was time for our second dusk boat trip.  To our surprise and delight our guide had taken on board what we’d been saying and the boat belted up the river to a likely elephant crossing point.  Not only did we see an elephant but it goes down as one of our best ever wildlife experiences.  We thought if there were elephants around we’d be lucky to get a brief glimpse of them through the trees.  At most, and if we were really lucky, the odd one might approach the water’s edge for a drink or bath.  We certainly didn’t expect to be within meters of over 35 extremely rare Borneo pygmy elephants.  Not only did we see them up close but they didn’t break with their usual routine so we saw them eating, bathing, sliding down the bank, playing, helping the little ones cross the creek and just generally doing elephant stuff.  There were so many of them in the herd that at times we didn’t know where to look – another of those wonderful experiences that we feel privileged to have attained.

 

 

Incredibly the evening got better – well if you’re a City fan that is!  Poor Steve was trapped in the middle of nowhere with barely a mobile signal let alone a decent internet connection.  We ‘watched’ the derby via an on-line betting company’s odds – it was hilarious to watch the odds of Man U winning soar over 65-1!  It all rounded off a perfect day and we retired very happy campers as City won 6-1 at the theatre of shattered dreams!

 

The final boat ride saw us heading in the opposite direction and we cheekily said that we just needed to see crocodiles and orang utan then we’d be happy.  Believe me we could have just seen 2 macaques and a crow and we’d be leaving happy!  There were many more birds around and it was lovely to see the hornbills.  Then the boat suddenly headed towards the far bank as somehow or other our guide had spied a crocodile.  It didn’t like us getting too close and kept dipping under the water but we got a good look at it none the less.  We saw many different species of birds including some very rare storks, eagles and kingfishers.  Our boatman became fixated on one patch of trees and other than birds fluttering around we couldn’t see what he was looking at.  He then announced that in the distance there was an orang utan moving through the trees.  To be honest at first we didn’t believe him but once he gave us clearer instructions on where to train our binoculars – sure enough there was a big orange fella having an early breakfast.  He, and his friend, were a very long way off and they were difficult to see but we’d finally found orang utans in the wild in Malaysia.  Unbelievable and how lucky were we?

 

Following breakfast it was time to check out and get ready for the next part of our Borneo adventure.  The tour we’d booked included a free van shuttle service to the local bus pick up spot and once there we’d be able to jump on a Lahad Datu bound bus.  In actual fact we never reached the pick-up spot as the bus we needed passed our van so the driver flagged him down.

 

 

Lahad Datu

 

We were dropped at the bus station but never having been to town and without a map we decided the wise thing to do was to jump in a taxi.  It was just as well as it would have been quite a walk to Silam Dynasty Hotel.  This is one of many business style hotels and the rooms were more than adequate.  Lahad Datu is very much a functional, working, oil business town and the only thing it has to offer tourists is it’s the gateway to the heart of the Borneo rainforest.  Steve and I like these little off the beaten track towns and luckily Mum was happy to take a break in her wildlife spotting.  To be honest I think we all needed to catch our breath and reflect on what we’d seen so far and how lucky we’d been before embarking on the next leg.

 

Walking the length and breadth of town didn’t take us long so we decided to camp out in a Chinese food court tucking into tasty chicken rice washed down with a tall cool one.  That’s one of the great things about these frontier towns you can always find cheap beer!  Still we didn’t get too carried away as we had to be up early the next morning for the treat part of the trip.

 

Up to now we have seen: Long tailed macaques, pig tailed macaques, silver leaf monkeys, proboscis monkeys, squirrels, giant squirrel, skinks, water monitor, ELEPHANTS, crocodile, orang utan, bats, fruit bats, crested agamid lizard and green lizard.

Birds: cormorant / darter, purple heron, great egret, intermediate egret, Storm’s stork, Jordan’s baza, long tailed parakeet, stork billed kingfisher, white throated kingfisher, blue throated bee-eater, ashy tailorbird, little spiderhunter, common kingfisher, grey heron, pied hornbill, serpent eagle, dollarbird, crested hornbill and green imperial pigeon.

 

 

 

 

 

Borneo Rainforest Lodge

 

We’ve looked at visiting this place periodically over the years but have always baulked at the cost.  However, we’d promised ourselves that should Mum come to visit again we’d use that as an excuse to splash out.  The man had been paid so it was time to sit back and enjoy – we hoped!  The usual deal is to book at 3D / 2N package that includes your transfers to and from Lahad Datu, all accommodation and meals and a range of wildlife spotting activities.  We’d read that the highlight was the night spotting drive so Steve and I were particularly looking forward to that bit.  Just getting to the lodge is part of the fun as it’s a 2 ½ hour drive with the bulk of it being on a dirt track.  The forest scenery was fabulous and we were even lucky enough to see 4 crested hornbills low down in the branches by the edge of the road.

 

The excitement levels were rising as we neared the lodge and even on first glimpse it was clear the place was going to live up to expectations.  We were warmly and efficiently greeted and taken upstairs to their comfy seating area for a briefing on the lodge.  It was all very interesting information but we just wanted to see what our room was like!  Then we had to be introduced to our guide.  It seems that when you pay top whack you get 5 star treatment!  Luckily he didn’t give us the full itinerary just what we would be doing later and where and when to meet.  So, after what seemed like hours we were finally shown to our rooms. 

 

The chalets are spread out over a large area and are all connected by a raised wooden walkway.  Our rooms were virtually as far away from the restaurant as you could get but we already knew we wouldn’t have one of the premium river view rooms.  To be honest it wouldn’t matter which room you chose as you’re right in the heart of one of the world’s oldest rainforests.  The rooms were superb with every modern facility you could imagine and a lovely big balcony.  Little touches like a jar of mini home-made cookies to have with your brew made the place feel extra special.  Plus they had a free water refill service – which as most of you will know is one thing I will always commend a place on.

 

We didn’t have the opportunity to lounge around as it was lunch time – the spread was fantastic.  We were all like children in a sweet shop and ended up stuffing our faces.  Throughout our stay all the food was superb and of course we ate way too much at each sitting.  The restaurant is situated over-looking the river and there was a constant stream of birds and butterflies.  Obviously if people have made the effort and shelled out so much to get to the lodge they are interested in flora and fauna.  As I looked around I realised that, like us, everyone had at least a pair of binoculars sat on their table.  Many people were very serious about what they hoped to see and the money’s worth of cameras, binoculars and telescopes we saw was mind boggling.

 

We waddled back to our balconies and let our food settle while watching out to see if anything would flutter, hop, crawl, slither, glide, swing or scamper by.  In fact it was raining so we didn’t see anything other than the odd bird.  Luckily by 3pm the rain had eased so we went to meet with our guide, Mesiah or Messi as he said to call him.  Obviously we instantly renamed him Lionel but not to his face!  It soon became apparent that the activities are very carefully organised and co-ordinated according to people’s needs and the number of guests.  We thought we’d be on a set programme but they shuffle things about to make sure your experience is as private as possible.  Plus some people had obviously paid for specific tailor-made packages with bird spotting being very popular.

 

Anyway, our first foray into the rainforest was a short, easy nature walk where we didn’t actually move all that far away from the lodge.  It was a perfect, gentle introduction for Mum and even though we didn’t see much in the way of wildlife initially, Lionel turned out to be very knowledgeable about the plants.  Mum loves her botany and we all learnt something new but the best bit was Lionel sharing his childhood memories of the plants being used in his kampung.  We saw lots of agamid lizards that were very good at posing for photos and they didn’t bat an eyelid when we used flash.  There are very few animals you are permitted to take photos of using flash and it was good to know that in this instance it was acceptable.  Then our guide chatted away on his walkie-talkie and declared we were going to head off in a different direction.  To our delight we got to see red leaf monkeys low down in the trees.  Up until now we’d only seen them high up in the canopy and it was great to get a good view of these beautiful monkeys.  The excitement didn’t stop there as we were asked to plunge off the beaten track as one of the rangers had spotted an orang utan.  We couldn’t believe our luck at seeing an orang building his nest.  We’d left Kinabatangan satisfied that we’d finally seen orang utans in the wild so this just blew us away.

 

The day was still young and there was the night drive to come yet.  Unfortunately it rained again on our return to the room but at least we’d got our walk in when it was dry.  It was very muddy underfoot of course and this meant there were plenty of leeches about.  This part of the world boasts and abundance of black and tiger leeches and they were feeling peckish!  In the end Steve and I were the only ones that braved the rainforest without wearing leech socks and amazingly neither of us got bitten.  We’d bought Mum a pair and she assured us that they did work; she washed many leeches from the socks but not one penetrated the material.  Anyway by night-drive time the rain had thankfully eased again – how lucky were we?  Unfortunately I have to say that this was the only part of our stay where we felt let down.  I know there’s nothing they can do about the weather but the drive only lasted an hour.  We did see a Malay civet, flying squirrel, colugo and sambar deer but most of them were high up in the trees.  We can only take their word for it that those eye reflections belonged to that particular animal.  Obviously the deer weren’t perched up on the branches but we’d already seen a couple near our chalet when we were walking to the lodge.  Disappointing but at least we’d enjoyed the rest of the day.

 

The next morning quite a long hike was pencilled in and even though Mum was going great guns we knew this was going to be too much for her.  Yet again we were given 5 star treatment and the package was tailored to meet our individual needs.  Lionel sensed that Steve and I really fancied the trek to Coffin Cliff and had rightly guessed that Mum would like to do a shorter walk.  So he arranged for another guide to come with us as far as the Jacuzzi pool where Mum could sit and watch the world go by for a while and then return to the lodge when she was ready.  In the meantime Steve and I would do the full walk.  As it happened the Minister for Tourism had arrived that morning so the lodge was in a frenzy of cleaning and apparently anyone who thought they were having a day off weren’t.  It turns out Lionel and his friend didn’t want to be involved in any of the shenanigans and were delighted to be away from the lodge.  Mum’s new guide was more than happy to sit and chat with her – it turns out he was just as knowledgeable about the rainforest as Lionel.  Plus he wasn’t going to be rushing Mum – perfect.

 

Anyway off we all set and a lovely morning it was too with the gibbons serenading us in the distance.  We’d just reached the spot where Mum would leave us when there was movement in the trees above us.  It seems the gibbons weren’t as far away as we thought as right above our heads was a family of 3 enjoying a tasty morsel.  It was great to watch them and for us it was a new species – the Borneo gibbon not surprisingly.  Mum was thrilled upon watching gibbons in the wild for the first time.  It was going to be a good day.

 

As Steve and I were walking along we began quizzing Lionel on where else he had worked as we were convinced we’d met him before.  It turned out that the most likely scenario was that he was our guide when we did The Pinnacles and Head-hunter trail in Mulu National Park.  On trying to jog his memory we explained that towards the end of the trail we left him behind and had to wait for him to catch up.  Not surprisingly he denied all knowledge of this ever happening!  On getting back to the flat Steve found the photographic evidence – Lionel had indeed been our guide all those years ago.  The world really is getting smaller.  The trail we were on basically followed a ridge and we climbed steadily.  Once again movement in the trees had us stopped in our tracks and we found ourselves looking straight at a red leaf monkey – the best view yet.  Further on we were struck speechless on coming across another orang utan.  This one was low down in the trees and we got a fantastic view of him before he decided it was time to move on.  They are so strong that he’d shimmied up the tree trunk in no time and seemingly with no effort at all.  Wow!

 

Coffin Cliff is so named as that is where the ancient people used to store their dead – in coffins on the side of the cliff or in little caves in the cliff surface.  It proves that people have lived in the area for a long time and there were a few other bits of artefacts lying around to show that they’d traded with other tribes.  At the top of the cliff is a cracking viewpoint – you can see acres upon acres of rainforest and can see right down to the lodge sat on a meander of the river.  I was delighted to find a host of wild orchids up there too.  In fact I’d spent most of the morning taking pictures of fungi and other interesting flora.  We’d apparently got to the viewpoint in good time – I think we were probably one of the most experienced jungle trekkers the lodge had seen!  So Lionel (who remember was in no hurry to get back) asked if we wanted to do a round trip via a couple of waterfalls.  Now as you know the prospect of watching water tumbling down a rock tends not to get us excited but we will always chose a circular route.  So we carried on to Fairy Falls and then to Serpent Falls before returning to the Jacuzzi pool.  It was a lovely walk and to be fair the waterfalls were pretty.

 

At the Jacuzzi pool Steve couldn’t resist a cooling dip – not my idea of fun though.  However, it was a very peaceful spot and I enjoyed watching the fish in the crystal clear water.  They are the type that likes to nibble toes so you can get a free foot spa but Steve reckoned their bite was a bit too sharp.  Lionel put his hand in the water and soon attracted a shoal of curious fish.  There were 3 or 4 species in there and we spotted an eel too.  Now it really was time to return as the lunch time buffet was calling and we wanted to see how Mum had faired.  We swapped notes over another big feed and declared that we’d all had a fantastic morning.

 

Then it started to rain and it rained and it rained – we had another walk lined up that afternoon.  You’re going to stop believing me but it actually stopped raining again just when we needed it to – honest.  We spent about 1 ½ hours following the Hornbill trail but there was very little moving.  We did hear lots of birds but goodness only knows what was flittering about in the branches.  One sure sighting was that of a couple of rhinoceros hornbills – the hornbill list alone was starting to look impressive.  It then started raining again as we were relaxing on our balcony between activities.  We were just about to set off for our night walk when a sambar deer and her fawn walked right past our chalet – aah!  That night we went on a short night walk to look for some of the jungle’s more unusual residents; namely weird insects on a large scale.  The frog pond actually lived up to its name and we saw a couple of different species.  The highlight was seeing 2 different types of owl.

 

The next and last morning we were up bright and early (6am) to bounce along the canopy walkway and listen to the dawn chorus.  With the sun just rising the light being cast through the trees was beautifully misty and moody.  It was great being so high up and although Steve and Mum had been anxious about this activity they both enjoyed it.  The canopy walkway is very solidly built and we were the only ones up there - other than the birds of course with the highlight being a pair of wrinkled hornbills flying overhead.  As we were walking back to the lodge Abu (one of the resident orang utans) had finally woken up for the day and was in search of his breakfast.  He’d nested very close to the track and low down in the tree so we got a fantastic view of him – more amazing wildlife encounters.  We’d just mentally told ourselves that we had to accept that the trip was coming to a close when we came across some twitchers pointing animatedly towards a huge fig tree.  We assumed that they’d spotted some sort of bird they’d not crossed off their list yet and we were invited to take a peek in their telescope.  It turns out these are twitchers that love all wildlife and were excited as they’d found a binturong.  It hadn’t entered into my head to hope and wish to see such a wonderful animal.  So there you go, right at the 11th hour we had a new animal to add to our list.

 

Following breakfast it was time to pack our bags.  We’d had such a fantastic time that we said our goodbyes with hearts that were sad to be leaving but elated at all the amazing animals we’d seen.  Not to mention simply enjoying being in such a wonderful environment.  Still it wasn’t the end of the holiday as we still had the ride back to Lahad Datu to enjoy and a couple of nights in Kota Kinabalu.

 

By the time we reached KK it was late so we just grabbed something to eat and had an early bath.  The next day we didn’t really feel like doing much but we fancied a bit of a potter so we went to the cultural museum.  It’s not the world’s best museum but it was interesting enough and the mini cultural centre outside was very pleasant to look around.  That evening we went down to the front in the hope of catching one of KK’s amazing sunsets but the weather meant it wasn’t that great.  To end the week Mum treated us to a meal in Little Italy where the food is fantastic - Steve and I reckon they make the best pizzas in Malaysia.  Cheers Mum!

 

The wildlife list for Borneo Rainforest Lodge reads:  orang utan, long tailed macaque, red leaf monkey, crested agamid lizard, green lizard, skinks, squirrels, sambar deer, red giant flying squirrel, colugo, Malay civet, Borneo gibbon, flying lizard, giant squirrel, pygmy squirrel, black squirrel, 3 types of carp, eel, 4 types of frog, common civet,  binturong, dragonflies, fireflies, butterflies, geckos, praying mantis, leaf bug, black leech, tiger leech, land crab, long-legged centipede, stick insect, spider, tarantula and millipedes.

 

And the birds:  crested fireback, white crowned hornbill, bulbul, little spiderhunter, forktail, rhinoceros hornbill, buffy fish owl, brown wood owl, black hornbill, wrinkled hornbill, black magpie, white crested Sharma, swiftlet, purple heron, stork billed kingfisher, little heron, serpent eagle, ? eagle and scarlet minivet.

 

Would we do it all again – YES PLEASE!!!!!!

Info:

Sepilok - http://www.sepilokjungleresort.com/

Nature Lodge - http://www.naturelodgekinabatangan.com/naturelodge.php

Borneo Rainforest Lodge - http://www.borneorainforestlodge.com/index.htm

Eden 54 - Great small hotel in KK - http://www.eden54.com/index.php

Little Italy KK - best pizzas in Malaysia - http://www.littleitaly-kk.com/

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.