Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Craft Beers at a Communist Museum

ROMANIA | Sunday, 6 September 2020 | Views [146]

A large collection of items from the communist era in Romania.

A large collection of items from the communist era in Romania.

This weekend we thought we would venture south of the river and explore a different area of town. Our focus for the afternoon was to find the Communist Consumer Museum which I had read about and sounded intriguing. We wandered down into town through the main squares and across one of the many bridges.  The southern part of the city feels very different, there is a lot less traffic and has a very relaxed feel. We enjoyed wandering around the quiet streets admiring the old buildings and some of the many churches that are dotted about. We finally located the museum and we initially thought it was closed but we popped our heads in and it was indeed open.

Now this is quite a bizarre place but we really enjoyed our visit. It is a bar with a museum attached. We sat in the lovely shady garden for a drink on a very hot day. The friendly waitress persuaded us to try a local craft beer so we couldn’t say no could we? The beer was good, especially the pilsner and I always like to try different brews so that was a good start. After the refreshing beverage we asked the waitress if we could view the museum, no problem. We donned our masks and was shown through the bar and down the stairs into the cellar. This was jammed packed with goods and products from the communist era (pre 1989) when Nicolae Ceausescu ruled the country. It was really interesting and because we are so old we recognised quite a lot of the stuff! The museum is free but you can leave a donation which we did. The museum is open Mondays to Saturdays between 10:00 to 23:00 and Sundays between 14:00 and 23:00 and is located at Strada Arhitect Laszlo Szekely 1, a short walk south of the river.

A really unusual  place but well worth a visit for a drink and a look at how live was during communist times.

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.