Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Settling into our New Flat

ROMANIA | Monday, 24 August 2020 | Views [78]

Celebrating moving into our new apartment in Timisoara.

Celebrating moving into our new apartment in Timisoara.

Finding a flat in Timisoara was pretty quick and straight forward. We had had a look online before leaving the Uk for the type of accommodation available and Emma’s school put us in touch with an agent. We ended up staying a week in the old town before moving into our new gaff and really loved it, but we knew it wasn’t the location to live long term. All the apartment blocks were obviously older in this area and not many have a balcony and that was our main priority. The more modern apartments were on the northern edge of town up nearer to the school so that seemed the logical area. We looked at several options and all were fine but it came down to location. We chose a place about 20 minutes’ walk from the school and about 35 minutes pleasant stroll down into Union Square, so that seemed to be a good compromise. We only have one bedroom but with a large open plan modern kitchen, living- dining room plus the all important balcony. We are right on the edge of town overlooking fields with a sunset view. However, there is a lot  of construction going on so not sure how long we will enjoy that. The apartment comes with luxuries such as electricity, water in the shower and internet that works. All things that were hit and miss in Addis.

We have lots of huge supermarkets within walking distance and it is bizarre to see so much stock on the shelves after shopping in Addis ( or indeed Buxton at the start of lockdown!). It is also strange to be able to walk down pavements and to have street lighting. We are back in the modern world. Cars stop at pelican crossings and there are cycle paths everywhere. One very unusual situation is people wait at the red man on crossings even if there is not a car in sight. Very law abiding citizens here, only ever seen that in Singapore!

There are not loads of restaurants close by but we enjoy heading into the old town or down to the river at weekends. Of the places nearby, Old House Pub is very nice but the food is average ( if you do go, pizza is the way forward) and they only serve Carlsberg/Tuborg. Quite a few bars are sponsored by this brewery but we would rather sample Romanian beer which is tastier and cheaper! Burger Cip is also close by and serves up excellent burgers. Cip is pronounced ‘Chip’ in Romanian so that makes sense and the friendly owner is also called Ciprian. Once again the British airport authorities need to take heed. ( Whizz air have just announced new flights from Romania to Sheffield, well make that Doncaster!)

We think we will be very happy in our new abode and hopefully plenty of people will come and visit once covid has gone away. We have a sofa bed but hotels are very reasonable too!

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.