Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

Anniversary Treat at Lagoon Resort

UGANDA | Monday, 24 March 2014 | Views [341]

Time flies by doesn’t it? Six years since we got married in Sri Lanka and here were are celebrating our anniversary in Uganda. We fancied somewhere special to celebrate and chose Lagoon Resort. Well my mum and dad stayed here when they were visiting a month ago and they loved it, so why not? Can’t have them staying somewhere we haven’t now can we?

 

Lagoon Resort is a fantastic place, a short 30 minute boat ride from the marina at the Speke Resort in Monyono. However, it feels like a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of Kampala and you get the feeling that you are on an island. The boat trip is included in the price as are all meals, so still an expensive treat, but it works out at good value. http://www.ug-lagoonresort.com/

 

On the Saturday morning we drove over to Monyono and left the car at Speke Resort and waited for the boatman to appear. Sure enough at the allotted time a small boat putted into the marina and we climbed on board. It was a great way to start an anniversary treat, skimming the gentle waves on Lake Victoria. The lake is so big though, it has its own micro-climate and soon the skies darkened and the waves increased and the ride got a bit choppy. We made it before the rain came and we were warmly welcomed at the resort. We walked up from the beach through the lush gardens to the restaurant where we were given a welcome drink and were introduced to the friendly dogs.

 

We were then shown to own accommodation, which are wooden huts right in the forest, we were given ‘Rhino’ room which was on the front row and had an excellent view into the forest. The rooms are tastefully decorated and very comfortable with a large balcony for lounging on, of which we did plenty.

 

The weekend was all about relaxing and enjoying ourselves, so we didn’t actually do much except watch the frolicking troops of red-tailed and ververt monkeys and the numerous bird life including loads of great blue turacos. We made it to the pool when the rain eased, down to the beach for sunset and to over indulge in the terrific food rustled up in the restaurant, but not much else to report except that it was an amazing place to spend an anniversary treat.

 

Late on Sunday afternoon the boatman took us back to kampala and we continued the celebrations with a meal at Cassia Lodge which affords a spectacular view of Kampala and Lake Victoria which rounded off a great weekend.                                            

 

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.