Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Versailles Palace, France – 6 November

FRANCE | Saturday, 6 November 2010 | Views [875]

This morning we were up and organised for the 9am start only to find that there was some sort of strike meeting on at the palace and opening was delayed until about 10.30am. Kent is off his leg at the moment and has to get about on his crutches, the staff here at the palace were magnificent. The day was rainy and the cobbles uneven, wet and slippery so when we had to make our way across from the entrance to a cafe to wait for the opening the security girls put him in their car and drove him across. They gave him a wheelchair to race about the palace in and escorted him up and down lifts etc. Though its a pain getting about on one leg one good thing is there is no waiting in lines and the lines at these places get very very long. We saw everything inside top story of the palace aided by a great audio guide then headed down through the gardens to look at the Grand and Petite Trianon palaces. It wasn't raining too much not to appreciate the huge grounds, fountains and gardens. Back to the Versaille palace and a look around the Dauphin and his sisters very sumptuous apartments then to a Science and Curiosties exhibition which they had to kick us out of at 5.30 for closing.

A pass to see everything in Versailles – the palace, the Trianons and Marie-Antoinettes estate costs 18 per person and parking for a whole day is about the same. Another amazing thing was that for disabled it is all free...

We had used couchsurfing to find a place to stay while visiting Paris and met Nazih an Algerian university student in front of the palace at the of his working day and we drove to his apartment in student accommodation nearby. He loves to travel and we had lots to talk about while he whisked us up an italian meal, Nazih loves all things Italian especially the soccer there.

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)


 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.