Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

La Loire, France – 4 & 5 November

FRANCE | Friday, 5 November 2010 | Views [871]

4/11 – We spent a dreary morning in the city of Tours finding the Tourism Office (huge but right in the centre) then finding a park (used a handicapped one in the end) and finding out info about the area. Got some supplies at the local ALDI store and headed off along the northern side of the Loire. It was a good choice as we passed another Troglodyte village (we passed one yesterday too). They consist of houses built partially or totally into cliffs of sandstone (we think). Wondered if they bang into their neighbours rooms sometimes as they dig.... They initially used the cellars they built for storing their wine, it is known world wide as a wine growing area. We visited the town of Amboise which is out of a storybook complete with old stone bridge over the river and Chateau in the middle of town, lots of the other towns in the Loire Valley follow that description too but this town more than most. The roads leading away from the town beside the river were flanked with avenues of golden trees.

Passing by Blois (pronounced Blwah) on the other side of the river we headed for Chambord. The Chateau of Chambord is surrounded by a huge 5440 hectare walled (31km long to keep the game inside) park, the roads inside the park are national roads still but are paved in red. The Chateau itself is absolutely amazing, in comparison to its fairly plainly built 3 lower levels the upper stories are a mess of towers, turrets and chimneys. Looks like the parents got to design the living area and the kids the rest. We spent the night in this cool park and heard pigs rooting about near the car in the night.

5/11 Missed Guy Fawke's Night which isn't celebrated here in France. Rain only eventuated at night, and it was clear and sunny after Orleans which was where we said goodbye to the Loire Valley and headed toward Paris. The countryside became vast and flat, looked very fertile. We stopped at Chartres so Carol could have a wander around the small old town centre and famous Notre Dame church (not THE Notre Dame). We arrived in Versailles just after 6pm in the dark and found a parking spot close by and went on a recce. The night was warm and everything was wet but no rain at the moment. We found out from the guard at the palace parking area that we would be able to park there overnight for free and be on the spot for the next days tourist activity.

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.