Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Avila and Gredos, Spain 20 – 22 October

SPAIN | Friday, 22 October 2010 | Views [944]

Domingo's mother and sister were so welcoming and kind, they fed us in the evening and we caught up on our washing as well, in the morning his mum was very worried because we didn't want to have breakfast (we find we usually eat at around 11am). We headed to Zaragosa again to visit Domingo, the hospital parking around hospital full but we found a spot a few streets away. We spent a couple of hours with Domingo then had a mission trying to find right road out of Zaragosa. There are very many wind farms, especially on hils in this area and the land north-east of Zaragosa is very barren, almost desert until Borja, with many olive tree orchards, then back to desert-like conditions again.

The following signs are in english language everywhere but Spain: WC, parking, stop, McDrive (spain = McAuto). Radio stations in Spain – take 10 stations, 8 are just talking, one will be classical, and the only one with any songs in english plays Abba :@(  Petrol is around €1.16/litre which is a bit of a relief as it's our major expense, the roads and road signs are good and Spanish drivers much better behaved than Italian (stay on their own side of the road). We are traveling on the secondary roads as these take us through the small towns and have less traffic than the motorways although there are lots of trucks. The houses have very little colour, only white, cream or off-white if painted, often they are left the concrete colour, or else earth coloured brick. If any part of the house is painted a colour it will be a bright painted door / window or shutters.

At Soria provence the land was beginning to green up but no trees and very red earth. Segovia provence is patchwork like England, but the fields are more vast with reds and browns instead of shades of green. Nearing Segovia there are lots more trees. Segovia itself is a cool town although we only drove into and out of it, it has a city wall which isn't that obvious and also has a huge Roman viaduct crossing the town and the streets are cobbled.

We had thought that the journey from Zuera all the way to Avila (270 odd miles) would take us two days but the roads were so easy and we kept a constant speed and weren't stopping every five minutes to take pictures so made it in one.

When Carol and Domingo were living together in Pakistan they had the fortune to meet two cool Spanish guys, Manuel and Alfonso, who were traveling around by bicycle. Carol had kept in touch with them since and we had been invited to stay with them when in Spain. Manu lives in Avila and we arrived in the evening and he took us out with a friend to a pub and treated us to drinks and tapas and then gave us a night tour around the city and walls.

The next day we saw Avila by day, it has the most complete city walls in Europe, in the past there was a move to pull down the walls (as with the viaduct in Sergovia) but luckily there wasn't enough money to do the job and so they remain today and are a great attraction. Inside the walls is a cathedral and tiny cobbled streets. Then we went to visit Manu at work, he is a Bombero (Fireman) and gave us a full tour of the Firestation including going up the tower, sliding down the pole, seeing all the gear on the Firetrucks, going out in the ladder truck and up the ladder itself (Carol got the hebbies so couldn't but Kent went right to the full 100 feet extension of the ladder, pretty high up) we had a great time. The evening we spent lazing and watching the DVD Avatar...

22nd saw us heading to Gredos with Manu who had a day off, Gredos is a mountainous area south of Avila. First he took us to see some sights which included a Roman road on the Avila mountain range. We had lunch with his lovely family in the village where he grew up then headed into the Gredos range near his house, where there is the greatest swimming hole (he must have had a magic childhood there) and went up a valley where we saw the local mountain goats. We were hoping to see the city walls lit up when we returned to Avila being Friday night but the message that we were in town hadn't reached the powers that be...

Thanks Manu for such a great visit to your part of Spain! :)

We are a little (lot) behind in uploading the pics to our site, if you visit it please realise that this is a backup site for all our pics for us so there are lots of pictures there rather than just the special ones. In the future when we have time we will do some work on them (joining some to panoramas and cropping others) but all in all they will help us to remember our trip when we are old and grey(er).

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)


 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.