Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Switzerland, Italy, Switzerland, Italy 2 - 5/10

SWITZERLAND | Tuesday, 5 October 2010 | Views [804]

Ah magical Switzerland! As we haven't purchased a pass for the motorway we did all our driving on the more minor roads which are always much more interesting. We actually went in and out (= 1) of Switzerland 5 times but spent about 7 days roaming around mainly the south of it, all in all.

On our second visit (2 - 4/10) we entered from Leichenstein heading for Chur, Switzerland on the 3 road. The weather was beautiful and we passed through some absolutely stunning scenery. One valley had vineyards with grapes ripe and ready to pick, they looked wonderful with a backdrop of snowy mountains behind. We stopped at an amazingly picturesque lake Heidsee near Lenzerheide but really our whole day was spent driving and bit and stopping to gaze and take pics. Finally at around 5pm we were going through the Julierpass looking at a large dam above a village called Sur and Carol started talking to a man walking his large white dog. Lorenzo we discovered is a New Zealand lover and has travelled there often in his adult life. He lived in the next village along but quickly organised us to stay in his empty ex-hotel (half is now used as his offices) in Sur. He took us there and showed us where everything was, sorted us one of the rooms that was all made up and ready to go and said we must spend the next day hiking up to the lakes above the town on Alp Flix. Wow what an amazing guy, we unloaded and did a huge load of washing after having a long shower each then lazed the evening away whilst uploading pics to www.cjb.pascoe.net.nz , we had the small hotel to ourselves and it felt wonderful to have so much space. The next day we hiked up to the lakes, a beautiful day with a cool wind which was just as well as it was a bit of a climb and it cooled us off. Late that afternoon we carried on again up over the Julierpass and more snow and on over the Maloyapass. Ahead we saw this huge white cloud and drove down into the next valley where we passed an absolutely HUGE lake that wasn't even on our map! We carried on driving in the mist and stopped for the night in the carpark of a cablecar still on the 3 road.

The next day (4/10) we reentered Italy crossing the border shortly after getting on the road. The weather continued to be misty and rainy as we travelled into this part of Italy. We passed Chiavenno and headed for the big lake a bit south (we can never find signs saying the names of the lakes in Italy). It was shrouded in mist and cloud and quite beautiful and we followed it's western edge and turned on the 340 to Lugano. Lots more tunnels on this route and they are building more. In fact we exited one tunnel and found we were at the border of Italy, drove immediately into the next tunnel and the end of that was the border for entry to Switzerland. It all happened so quickly we didn't even get a chance to take pics!

So now we were in Switzerland for the third time from Lugano we drove north and around the top of Lake Maggiore where we stopped for the night the weather still drab and wet. The next morning was dry but with low cloud and the lake looked stunning.

At 9.30am (5/10) we re-entered Italy as we continued down the side of Lake Maggiore heading for Verbania. As the day progressed the clouds lifted and the sun brought a delightful day. We stopped at a small village on the lakeside called Oggebbio and ate breakfast while looking out over the lake. It was so walm, calm and serene and we wondered why you weren't all there with us... After Verbania, which is quite a large place, we turned onto the 33 and passed Domodossola, it was cloudy again and we were heading for mountainous territory again but these mountains were shear rock with lots of long waterfalls. By the time we reached Iselle to exit at the Italian border we found we had entered a pass known as 'Le Vie del Contrabbando' otherwise known as the Simplon Pass heading back into Switzerland again.  

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)


 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.