Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Switzerland, Austria, Liechenstein 30/9 - 2/10

LIECHTENSTEIN | Saturday, 2 October 2010 | Views [875]

Our next adventure we decided was getting from Italy to Liechtenstein we decided to go via Switzerland and Austria, on the 30th September we left Italy at Tirano and entered Switzerland for our first visit. This is the only country that has a real border now with guards etc, as we crossed we were just waved on through. At every countries border there is a sign giving the road speeds for that country which is a great help. We headed toward St Moritz (Carols favourite icecream) but veering right before it and heading up the 27 through some serious snow in the Berninapass and along some beautiful green valleys and into Austria again. Although it was wonderful scenery it didn't seem quite up to what we had expected of the 'world famous for scenery' Switzerland but we had more to look forward to.

We entered Austria heading up the 315 to Landeck and driving west from there to Liechtenstein. We went through a hell of a lot of tunnels ranging up to 7km long! We spent the night in Austria just before Feldkirch and in the morning headed on into... The small Principality of Liechtenstein, only 25km long 6km wide sits tucked in beside Switzerland and is represented by it abroad. It's currency is also the Swiss Franc.

Even though we tried to dawdle it wasn't long before we found ourselves in the capital Vaduz. We drove up to its castle and looked out over the countryside. The country is situated in a wide valley and a lot of signage was in English. The weather was beautiful as you will see in the pics and the countryside green and flat. Although there was a definite border entering Liechtenstein there was no visible division between it and Switzerland.

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Liechtenstein

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.