Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

France, Belgium, Holland 13th to 17th September

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 17 September 2010 | Views [938]

We got a ferry from Dover to Dunkerque for 20 pounds total, thats for us and the car. Just drove into a line at the port in Dover and onto the ferry and off the other side smooth as silk. No customs or immigration or anything...  Hope it doesn't end up a repeat of our entry to Mexico...  :)

From Dunkerque we headed off on the wrong side of the road to Brugge, Belgium. Carol feels ok driving on the right but its strange having the steering wheel on the gutter side of the road instead of in the middle of it! We stopped in Brugge and wandered a little about the centre of the city, quite a cool place and different from anything we have seen in the UK. Next we headed up to the islands of Zeeland, The Netherlands. This is not the place that NZ was named after which is Zealand in Denmark tho. To get onto the islands we went through a 6.6km tunnel under the sea and to get off a 5km bridge back to the mainland. The south of Holland was a glut of motorways and it was nice to get into eastern Belgium where there were less cars and more hills and countryside.

Kent had a desire to visit Luxembourg so we headed on into this duche next door to Belqium/France/Germany. It is a really great little country with less than half a million people but only 2,500 square km approx. It is hilly and beautiful, we have seen two Chateauxs (castles) so far.

Pics (click on or copy and paste into browser) http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz

Next trip is down the 'Romantic Road' in Germany. 

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.