Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Middle of England - again

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 July 2010 | Views [810]

Our goal on re-entering England was to explore the Cotswolds, a very picturesque olde worlde part of England. The word 'Wold' means a hilly area (small hills, remember this is England). Accordingly we headed around Glousester with a toodle pip and headed south-east in the pouring rain. Our Guardian Angel arranged for fine weather while we stopped to view a Long Barrow at Nympsfield just south of Stroud. Set on a hill it also afforded great views over the Severn and back toward the Forest of Dean where we had slept the previous night. We were only allowed long enough for the viewing tho and Kent having dallied too long nearly got drenched racing back to our home-on-wheels. From this point the weather began to clear and we had a lovely two days driving to and fro northward looking at every little town we could find and stopping here and there to visit a Museum or walk along a particularly cute area. Some of the towns we went to: Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Norton, Morton-in-Marsh etc etc, you get the idea.

We had made a date to visit Mary & Colin friends of Carols who lives just outside the Cotswolds near Banbury and had been invited for dinner on Friday night. Wonderfully Mary chucked 2 loads of washing through her machine and let us shower as well as she and Carol having a great catch-up.

From Helmsdon we headed due north to Kelmarsh Hall near Market Harborough, Northamptonshire where English Heritage were holding a 2000 years of History Festival. Arriving at 11pm on the Friday night we stopped in the performers entrance of the festival to try and work out where on the map there might be a nearby parking area. A man came out and said just to come on in and park with everyone else so we did and stayed there all weekend, walking the short distance to and fro to the event whenever we needed and surrounded by tents and caravans and motohomes. It was a fantastic two mostly fine days, a huge open area in front of Kelmarsh Hall was filled with villages of all periods holding people living totally as they did then. Costumes are totally authentic from the skin out and are made authentically too, no modern stuff here. There were reinactments of certain historical wars ( the Jacobite rebellion and Agincourt to name a couple), medieval tournaments of hand-to-hand combat and jousting. Any enactor you spoke to stayed fully 'in period' and could answer most questions you might ask about the period they were portraying.  Kent spoke to the knight we had cheered for in the hand-to-hand combat (they use real, although blunt,swords) he had had 4 broken fingers, a broken nose (from the nose guard of a Norman helmet) and a cut lip. They consider the sport to be serious like a martial art and put their all into it. Of course after the crowds left the evenings were winddown time for the enactors and the bar in a huge marque became the congregation point with music and food. On the Saturday night there was a live band and we mingled with everyone, most of them still in their period dress, and enjoyed the evening.

Next stop Skegness and the most beautifully fine day we have had in so long we almost started worshipping the sun! We headed for the beach and lazed there a while but were invaded by the tiniest bugs so had to leave, up the road a bit Carol had to get out and brush out her hair as they had managed to get all over it. Across the scenic Lincolnshire Wolds to stay the night in a park near Market Rasen where we met an older Dutch couple who were travelling for 7 weeks in their 'small' mobile home, we think they felt better about their abode after meeting us. They had been to Scotland and gave us a map book for it which will come in very handy. West to Rotherham where we spent half the day in the Magna Science Adventure Centre, an old steel mill which in the past was the biggest producer of steel in the world. Now it is a hands on learning centre and of course we had to try everything... We still managed in the afternoon to visit Conisbrough Castle small ruins above the town and Brodsworth Hall about 20 minutes north which was a huge 19th century house lived in by the builders family for 120 years. The last inhabitant lived in it with water running through the ceiling and down the walls. English Heritage took it over and spent £3 million on the roof and left the inside as is, and it is one of the most interesting sites we have visited. Every room was different and quite relatable, they were good employers with an excellent servants quarters and loyal retainers, for example they had only 2 housekeepers in over 80 years. We spent an hour in the house and the second hour, before it closed, in the gardens. They like the house had areas which were each different from the other and offered great exploration.

We stayed the night (actually 2 nights) just outside York in a little countryside carpark quiet and private until the mornings when every man and his dog arrived for their constitutionals. We spent 2 days in York, the first walking around the town and visiting the Jorvik Centre about the Vikings who inhabited the area in the past and all the other landmarks. The next whole day was spent in the Railway Museum which was magnificent.

If you are wondering how come we have suddenly become able to burst into print, we stumbled upon a country boot sale and managed to buy an inverter so now can charge up our netbook while travelling. As a consequence we can sort our pics as we go and get the best ready to upload and also write the blog, so as long as we can find a connection (hello McDonalds, who have a great unsecured WiFi but no power points) here and there we should be able to be a little more active in our keeping you all up to date from now on. For all its progress it was easier to find WiFi in the less developed countires we have travelled in than it is here.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.