Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Wales & Chester

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 10 July 2010 | Views [771]

The weather was definitely warmer in Wales, still cloudy and sometimes rain but a warmer breeze. We found the countryside very pretty and the towns very charming. Since now we had a few extra days we drove to the nearest bigger town called Harvestfordwest and went to a tourist office to get information on what was on in Wales. We found that there was a big music week going on in a place called Llangollen (sounded Lhangolhen, yes it is possible to sound an H straight after an L but only just). It was 175 miles and we took the route up the coast and through Snowdonia most of being scenic roads. On the way we kept ourselves occupied by having turns at trying to pronounce the Welsh place and road names, try these – Mynydd Preseli, Eglwyswrw, Bryhoffnant, Ysbyty-Cynfyn, you get the idea!

Unfortunately we arrived right at the end of the Eisteddfod and all the events had finished except for the grand finale of Nigel Kennedy in concert. However Llangollen is a very pretty town and we found a nice park to stay in and went for a walk along the canal which runs alongside the river. This canal was originally built to carry minerals etc to a sea port but is now only used for leisure boats. It travels across two amazing viaducts of stone and steel about 130 feet high.

We had the good luck to go to a small motor museum there also and Carol got talking to the owners and they told us about a guy living in a nearby town who had all sorts of old motorbike parts. Kent has a 1949 Norton ES2 which he wants to restore in the future, he has almost all the parts and just needs a magdyno and clutch in the main. We headed north to Wrexham where the guy lives and he said to come tomorrow so we nipped up to a lovely city called Chester to fill in our time.

Chester is a walled city full of tudor style buildings and very picturesque. We arrived there at 8pm and walked about the city and walls until it was dark (it gets dark at around 10.30pm). Next morning we headed back to Wrexham and met Eldon Owen who has a huge shed full of old motorbikes and parts. He knew his stuff and soon had Kent sorted with each of the things he needed, old parts in need of restoration but good as they could be considering their age. He had fully restored parts but they were a bit expensive for us, he gave us a great price on the parts and the only worry we now have is what we have to throw out to be able to get the weight of them home! Anyone needing parts for old bikes whip us a quick email and we will send you his info.

From there we drove back down the centre of Wales over a beautiful moor just before the Brecon Beacons and stopped a night in Brecon, a town where the buildings were built and the streets added as an afterthought. We woke to find a food caravan (piecart to Kiwis) knowing we would need early refreshment had conveniently set up nearby, in the drizzle we stood under his shelter and chatted about travel while having bacon & eggs and coffee. Onward to Swansea. Kents drivers license this time is running out so we thought we would change it for an English one but when we got to the DVLA it was too expensive so we drove, in yukky weather, through and out to Mumbles on the peninsular then went to the excellent museum near there.

Eastward ho toward England again, we headed up a 'B' road (they are usually more interesting) and found ourselves climbing way up high (England high you must realise). We got some beautiful views before the weather suddenly closed right in and we found ourselves driving in low cloud/fog. We pulled over for a faster driver to pass us and a few minutes later met him again when we found him stopped on the side of the road having hit and killed a sheep and damaged his car. We were headed for Tongwynlais as we decided on our last day in Wales to see a few of their 641 castles and Castle Coch (said Cork) is there. We were going to park in a forest picnic area but it turned out to be a really dodgy place with quite strange goings on, 'nuf said. We luckily had met a lovely woman when we arrived who had been walking her dog who invited us to park in the carpark of her pub up and around the corner. We headed there and had a very nice chatty evening with her and her daughter and friends. One of her workers is a kiwi girl so we had a connection, in the morning she offered the use of her shower and gave us breakfast, how wonderful! One of the couples we met in the pub said they had a VW Passat estate younger than ours rotting away at their farm if we wanted any parts so the next day we headed there and got some mats and the rear window wiper (ours never worked, now great) and other small bits and pieces needed including a new brake hose. Kent did the running repairs while we were there and we were on our way. We saw Castle Coch (completely reconstructed and beautiful) then Castle Caerphilly (largest castle in Wales complete with double moat) raced across to Cheptstow Castle (hangs on a cliff over a river in a really cute town) catching it just before it closed for the day. Headed north to cross the Severn up by Gloucester staying on the Welsh side of the border, passing Tintern Abbey (stunning) and staying the night in the Forest of Dean (really is a forest).

Next stop England again.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.