Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Carriacou, Grenada

GRENADA | Friday, 26 February 2010 | Views [726]

Costs pp: Mailboat from Grenada to Carriacou EC$40

We arrived at Tyrell Bay on the lovely little island of Carriacou around midday and talked to the locals near the dock about camping and they showed us to a nearby field where we were able to put up our tent. We then left our packs in one of local shops and walked down the beach to the yacht club to see if there was any chance of meeting yachties on their way north. Unfortunately although we spoke to lots of people over the two days we were there we were unable to find anyone heading north right now wanting crew.

We had a lovely time there and swam in the beautiful clear blue water and chatted with the locals. The second night we camped behind Andy's shop (sailmaker extraordinaire) and on the Monday we caught a very small ferry boat to Union Island.

Like all the islands here in the south Caribbean Carriacou is very dry at present. No-one has had rain since last December or before and the islands are starting to run out of water although you wouldn't know it as we still see locals washing down their cars and boats! Here each home has a storage tank for water but still 6 months is a long time to be without rain and we are now entering the dry season here. Rain is not expected until June or later.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Grenada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.