Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Journey to Puerto Iguazu via Saltos de Mocona, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 9 December 2009 | Views [1052]

Cost pp: Park entry for our walk 5p, or 3p if you only go to see the waterfall.

We rose breakfasted and packed up the tent, said goodbye to our new found friends and headed on up the road toward the Saltos de Mocona purported to be better than the Iguazu Falls by people in these parts...  :)

The scenery was beautiful and the road nearer to the Saltos was under construction but completely drivable. We entered the park to find a big refugio for camping and tourist information and a big covered picnic area. The ranger told us that it was impossible to go and see the Moconas as the area was all under water. A storm was approaching but we had time to do an hour long walk through the forest and past another pretty waterfall in there.

The humidity was pretty high and we were hot and sticky when we got back from the walk and the ranger allowed us to shower in the facilities there. We picniced under cover while it rained outside, lovely to be able to do this with Nick and Jasmine having everything available in the van. We usually can only carry avena (rolled oats) lol. After talking to a german couple who arrived from Iguazu by pushbike we decided not to carry on up the dirt road the way they had come. They told us we would need two 4WD vehicles, one to help the other, to get over the road. Nick and Jasmines van is great but its definitely not an off-roader.

We headed back past El Soberbio and turned in toward the centre of this isthmus of Argentina then crossed back to the Paraguay side and headed up toward Iguazu on the main road (12). The sky was dark with clouds and it rained on and off, the countryside was still lovely. Missiones is definitely the prettiest part of Argentina.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.