Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

El Soberbio, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 8 December 2009 | Views [960]

this neat family let us sleep outside their home and shop

this neat family let us sleep outside their home and shop

We headed off at midday after Kent installed a small fan that Nick had bought for their van yesterday at the market. The van has no windows at the back so when they sleep at night it gets pretty hot. At last we were on our way, heading across this isthmus of Argentina to the border with Brasil where we had been told the countryside is very beautiful and there are some wonderful falls called Saltos de Mocona.

The countryside really was beautiful and we had a great drive stopping for a picnic on the way. We are really enjoying the company of Nick and Jasmine, it has been a long time since we travelled with others. In the evening Nick made a wish for the perfect spot to stop for dinner and 'Hey Presto' there it was. A mirador (viewing point) looking out over a stunning countryside patchworked with fields of tobacco and corn. The mirador had a big stone fence which we all sat on to eat our excellent salad and the guys drank beer in coolers from the tienda opposite.

We decided to ask the people who owned the shop opposite if we could camp in their driveway. It was ok so we put up our tent between the house and the van. We spent the evening with the family and friends, laughing and conversing, it was an excellent magic moment. Vilmar the father showed us a weird fishhead that he has in the freezer of a 45kg fish he caught in the nearby river. The fish has a flat head and long thinnish body and was about as long as Kent is tall. Good eating he reckons.

In the morning we had breakfast and headed off fairly early wanting to visit the Saltos de Mocona before heading on to Iguazu.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.