Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Puerto Rio Tranquilo, Chile

CHILE | Friday, 9 October 2009 | Views [4137] | Comments [1]

Costs pp: Bus Perito Moreno to Chile Chico Arg-35p, minivan to Rio Tranquilo Chl-10,000p, Hospedaje Darka 6,000p (no b/fast and after bargaining).

The road from PM was more and more interesting the closer we got to Chile. No problems at the border altho we both had our packs searched. Like in NZ they don't want fresh fruit and vege or animal products entering the country. The day was sunny and warm and we saw a garden full of tulips and the trees are full of new spring growth.

Carol went searching for info in Chile Chico and discovered that the transport system is erratic. With this being Friday there was no transport to Pto Rio Tranquillo on the weekend. There was a ferry going directly across the lake with transport on to Coyhaique on Sunday but we wanted to go the long way around the huge Lago General Carerra (2nd largest lake in SA after Lago Titikaka). In the end we sorted out travel to Puerto Guadal and from there on to Rio Tranquilo this evening. We bought the usual supplies from the supermarket and headed to the lake and found a spot out of the wind and ate lunch.

The trip along the edge of Lago General Carrera was filled with excellent scenery and we arrived in Puerto Guadal on dark. Dumping our packs in the shop of a lovely lady there with whom we had a bit of a conversation and a few laughs, we headed out to scope the town. We hadn't got far when Carol needed to go to the loo so headed into the school where there were some lights on. Here we met the local teacher putting in a few extra hours and talked with him for a while about Chile and the surrounding area. Did you know that in this lower area of Chile there are over 3,000 islands! After chatting with him and finding out that all they need here in the school is an english teacher and of course every town needs a repairman like Kent and thinking this would be a great spot to come and stay, we headed out again but it was now dark. We went anyway down to the lake and viewed it in the moonlight then back to the tienda to catch the minivan on to Rio Tranquilo.

The trip was uneventful being in the dark but when we got there the driver zoomed about and dropped everyone at their homes then he took us about looking for a place for us to stay. Now this was really great for us as 10.30pm at night is not a good time to have to find a place on your own. Finally we found a place that was 8,000ea with breakfast but the lady agreed to 6,000p without, every other place was way more expensive and the cheaper place was closed. The beds in this place were the best we have been in on the whole trip and we thankfully dived straight into bed and slept well, making up for last night.

On the map below you will see that we travelled along the highway 265 right along the southern side of the lake then onto route 7 which took us across the end of it.

Next stop Coyhaique.

 

Comments

1

Is there public transport (bus or pick up) and if yes when from Puerto Rio Tranquilo to La Teresa in Chile ?
Thank you for answering my question.
Elisabeth

  Elisabeth Oct 29, 2013 9:04 PM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.