Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Perito Moreno,Argentina - the town not the glacier

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 8 October 2009 | Views [1232]

Costs pp: Flight El Calafate to Perito Moreno 254p, costs we didn't think about when flying = bus to the airport 24p, airport tax 6p, remis (taxi) from airport to Perito Moreno town 30p (we shared with another guy so it cost us 10p ea). Camping at Raul's Minicamping 20p.

Our flight was scheduled for 2pm and we were picked up by the airport shuttle from a hotel near to Analias house at midday. At the airport we were worried that our packs clearly failed the 15kg weight limit but they put them through without a comment. The flight was late and as we sat up the top of the building looking out over the runway we could see our plane with the baggage cart outside with our 2 packs and one other bag sitting there. They had loaded them but then unloaded them again, we got worried that they were going to protest about their weight and tried to think about what we could unload and stick in our pockets! haha. However it seemed that they were just being left until last as we were getting off at the next stop on the flight, whew!

The remis that took us from PM airport to the town took the three of us to a couple of hotels which we rejected and then to a 'cheap hostel', obviously 'cheap' is relative as the cost was 50p for a dorm bed. The other guy stayed and we headed out to find a cheaper spot. Where was it? right across the road at 'Raul's minicamping'. We entered his property and walked straight into a large greenhouse of vegetable plants, and here we met Raul, a talkative character who invited us straight into his home and chatted 90 to the dozen in spanish all the time we were there. We set up our tent in his backyard and helped him plant some new seeds in the greenhouse then he cooked us dinner and we piled the food we were carrying into his fridge for him. In the evening he recited his poetry to us, we couldn't understand it all of course but got the gist of it and the feeling.

Our stay was marred only by the dogs next door who barked all night and stopped us from getting a good rest. Luckily the weather was fine and not too cold so ok for camping. In the morning we made up some porridge and prepared to leave but when we wanted to pay Raul wouldn't accept anything from us so we gave him a pen decorated in NZ motifs which is magnetic as a thankyou gift.

Next stop over the border and back into Chile, not sure where to exactly.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.