Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Potosi, Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 30 August 2009 | Views [1195]

Costs pp: ordingary bus Yotala to Potosi 15b, dorm bed at Koala Den 35b incl breakfast and internet use.

Potosi - claimed to be the highest city in the world at a nominal 4,090 m (13,420 feet). It lies beneath the Cerro de Potosí — sometimes referred to as the Cerro Rico ("rich mountain") — a mountain popularly conceived of as being "made of" silver ore, which has always dominated the city. Cerro de Potosí's peak is 4,824 meters (15,827 feet) above sea level.

Not a good idea to arrive on festival day when the terminal is at one end of a long street the other end (uphill) of which has the hostel you are heading for and in between jam packed and watching the parade thousands of Bolivians and street sellers.

We managed to negotiate our way up despite the non help of any other person to make our journey thru the throngs with huge heavy packs, uphill, and felt like cursing a few times (putting it nicely). It took a while to locate the Koala Den and we decided to stay there because we had gone to about 8 other hotels and alojamientos and they wanted 70 - 150b for 2 people and to be honest the rooms were not good.

After depositing our packs in the rooftop, 4 stories up, dorm room the first thing Kent did was have a long hot shower. Staying at the level we do usually the shower is cold or non-existant, Carol had managed a warm shower at Yotala but it was just a dribble. We headed back into town and watched the parades here, we were lucky enough to get offered a seat in a small grandstand which afforded great views. We sampled the local fare including a drink containing Ceibo which is 90% proof and wandered back for a sleep at 10pm with the festival still in full swing tired out. Kent is having problems with his leg, he thinks possibly the injection made his body get rid of all fluids and it has changed the shape of his stump. Carol thinks he just has to eat more and fatten up a bit :)

Next stop Uyuni.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.