Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

San Borja, Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 22 August 2009 | Views [1692]

Harrowing the road to get it level again

Harrowing the road to get it level again

Costs pp: coll van Rurre to San Borja 40b, terminal fee 2b, room at the restaurant opposite the bus terminal in SB 20b (2ppl).

We stayed a night in Rurrenabaque and got our laundry done (a real treat) and next day got a van to San Borja which is on the road to Trinidad. The ride over the rough road out of Rurre was much better in a van than the ride in on the bus. They are slowly building a new road, painstakingly out of stones, and it will be a lot better journey when that's done.

At San Borja we found a place to stay opposite the terminal behind a restaurant with a yard full of animals - geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys, cats, dogs, pigs - all in about 1/4 acre or less.

We walked into town (quite a distance) and found a man on the way selling THE most divine empeñadas, so we had 4 each, only 1b each! We went to the square and sat in the sun and watched San Borjarians (?) go by mostly on motorbikes, we figured the ratio was 5 bikes to 1 car (most of which were SUVs). We completely forgot to take our camera so no pics of the lovely little square or the great guy with the empeñadas (we ate more on the way back) or the kids riding round and round the square on the motorbikes (just like we used to cruise the main streets on a friday night).

Some neighbour decided he must play his music loud all night and turn it off only after we got up at 7am but it was ok, we are pretty good at sleeping through most noise (motorbike rally training). As we left and we crossing the road to the terminal a cart came along pulled by some cows, Carol stopped to take a pic and the young man in the cart quickly jumped down and stopped the animals so she could take the pic. The people in the countryside in all the countries we have been in are so nice and kind and as helpful as they can be.

Carol's conversation when buying a ticket for our next bus journey to Trinidad - Woman = 'you go to Trinidad?'; C = 'Yes, how much is it?'; W = '50 bolivianos'; C = 'Is it a van like this?',points to a van nearby; W = 'yes, you want a ticket?'; C = 'Is it a bus?'; W = 'Yes it's a bus, semicama (reclining seats)'; C = 'Not a van then, a bus? Like that one over there?' ,points to the large bus over the fence not easily mistaken for a van; W = 'Yes, you want a ticket?'.  So often conversations like this...

Next stop Trinidad (not and Tabago).

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.