Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

San Jose del Cabo, Baja Sur

MEXICO | Wednesday, 22 October 2008 | Views [921] | Comments [1]

Hi all, We are in San Jose del Cabo at the bottom of the peninsular. We have been camping since leaving La Paz where we had an excellent few days meeting locals and trying to get our visa sorted out. The locals are great but the hierachy is corrupt as hell.

We headed to Pescadero a little south of Todos Santos and camped there in a tent that Elaine gave us. It is perfect and we are gradually getting used to sleeping on the hard ground. Pescadero was great for swimming and we got to hear a whale going by one evening. It slapped the water with it's tail a few times then blew and called out. It was 11pm and we rushed down in the dark as it sounded SO close to the beach but couldn't see a thing. We moved 10k or so further down the beach and camped again but the sea wasn't so friendly to swim in and the spot we picked was too sheltered and in the heat you need the breeze from the sea. We stayed two nights and moved on to Cabo San Lucas.

Well, what a American tourist mecca! The prices of everything were way over the top and we could only afford one night there. We camped in a campground for 250p which is what we would expect to pay for a room with an shower & toilet. The only factor in it's favour was that there was a swimming pool and showers of course which we really needed after the camping, and to wash our clothes.

Today we caught the bus to San Jose but the campground we hoped to stay at closed a year ago and when we looked on the net for a couchsurfer we found an english guy who is making a retreat near here so we rang him and are meeting him tonight. Hopefully we can go out to his place and help him as well as being in the bush, which we will both like. There are also hot springs, agua caliente, there so hopefully it will be fun.

We met the nicest Mexican guy here today who kept our huge packs in his small music shop while we went to the beach and lay like lizards there under a shelter. It was so lovely, every now and then a pelican would fly by... Heaven...

Our plan is to get back to La Paz by the 31st and head to a Rainbow gathering starting on the 1st November about 40 miles north of there.

Sorry there are no pics but it is difficult to be organised to get them uploaded. Next time we stop for a period of time and get ourselves organised we will put some up.

 

Comments

1

Wow that much to camp! Get real! Any charge to breath the air?
What is the Rainbow Gathering?

  Haley Nov 12, 2008 12:35 PM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.