Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

We are in Fort Collins for a week or so

USA | Saturday, 13 September 2008 | Views [822]

Soup cooked and served in a pumpkin

Soup cooked and served in a pumpkin

We have had our disposable camera developed and got some great pics of the Grand Canyon and have uploaded those.

It seems a bit wierd to be stopped in one place. Yesterday we went for a walk downtown and kept hearing a train blow its 'whistle' (it definitely isn't a whistle, it's a bloody great blasting horn), and thinking we should be on it.

We have our stuff spread all over Elaines room and the plan is to sort it into, must have, maybe have, and not have piles - so far it's just one big pile. How did we manage to get so much stuff! Trimming time!

Last night we went out for a midnight full moon bike ride, it was really great. We were meant to be part of a group but started late and never caught up to them so we followed Hayley along a local bike trail and at one point stopped and played on the swings and slides there (why aren't there playgrounds for adults!!) until the police came a cruisin so we took off. Hayley had her boombox on the back of her bike so we were entertained as we rode. We cycled into Burger King to get some eats but were informed that we were not considered to be in a vehicle so they wouldn't serve us! AGAIN! Carol informed them they lived in a crazy country which was a softer reply than the one Kent gave a few days ago in Chicago.

The weather is great, yesterday was 70 degrees F or 20 degrees C so just nice for walking about. We found a few pawn shops here and managed to replace the Fuji A500 that died on us for $45, we have a waterproof cover for it so wanted to buy a camera to fit. On the plus side we got a 512 card with it so now have 2 and the old camera for parts.

Kent has been 'Mr Fixit' here and has repaid our lodging by getting a few things going again around the house. A bit scary that things seem to die right when we are around, is it Kent or Carol???

Today we went for a picnic up to the Horsetooth reservoir, it was a lovely day and people were skiing on the lake/reservoir. It is in the foothills of the Rockies on the west side of Fort Collins. The reservoir is contained by 2 earth dams which if they burst would fairly well wipe out the lowest parts of the town as far as we could see.

Speaking of flooding, Dawn (Carol's sister) and Alan are still in St Louis. They live in Galveston but had to leave before hurricane Ike hit about a week ago now. Galveston was pretty devastated by Ike and it's unknown how their home is. Three of their close neighbours houses burnt down and of course the water... Their home is on a bit of a rise so hopefully it has escaped the flooding.

Tags: denver

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.