Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

From Flagstaff to Fort Collins

USA | Thursday, 14 August 2008 | Views [626]

14th August - we are on the train to Raton where we will change to a connecting coach or possibly Greyhound Bus that will take us to Denver where Elaine (Carol's sister) will meet us. We have great seats with plenty of room for our packs which are stacked by us. We can recline the seats and sleep and we are up high so have great views of the countryside we are passing through. Also by our seat is a plug so that we can plug in the laptop or charge up whatever we need. There is a lounge car with snacks and a dining car with meals, the prices are not too bad altho we are trying to spend as little as we can and as wisely as we can, of course. At the moment we are climbing up through some red stoney hills which have mostly pines growing but smaller and less dense than NZ.

At Raton a Greyhound bus was waiting right beside the railway track to whisk us off to Denver, you get off the train right onto the ground here, the stations aren't raised. In fact in Kingman we waited and boarded the train in the middle of a road that was crossing the tracks. Between Pueblo and Colorado Springs we got to watch a mighty electrical storm travelling to the east of us. Huge lightning bolts jagging from the clouds to the ground, spectacular! We only got a small amount of rain where we were. Elaine was there to greet us in Denver, we arrived about half an hour late, and we stowed the bags in her car and went for a walk (at 10pm) up the main pedestrian area which is very prettily laid out and has tuktuks and horse & carts and trams doing the rounds. Taco Bell/Pizza Hut was the choice for munchies and it only cost $6.50 to feed all 3 of us, Kent accidently ate Elaines order and that's how we discovered that the 7 Layer Burrito is the one to buy – YUM!

Post Falls where Elaine lives is about an hour north of Denver and we arrived there after midnight and crashed for the night.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.