Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Los Angeles - arrival

USA | Tuesday, 5 August 2008 | Views [923]

We left NZ at 9.30pm on the 5th of August and arrived in Los Angeles at 2.30pm on the afternoon of the 5th, amazing, we are now time travellers! We, with our big backpacks, small front packs a carrybag and two boxes of chocolates from Lyall for friends, managed to get from the airport to North Hollywood without a hitch. Then we looked on a large map by the subway and found that our friends street was just nearby so decided to walk there. Unfortunately in the States you can have a street that one half is in one place and the other half is miles away! Yes, you guessed it, we were walking to the wrong half. After a while of walking and searching though we found our friends house. Tanya and Greg we had met online and become friends and meeting them in the flesh was just great. We had a meal with them then crashed for the night in their lovely guest bedroom. 6th August - Kent slept until lunchtime, trying to adjust, his body just did not want to wake up. We caught the subway to Hollywood and looked about a bit then caught the bus along the Santa Monica Bvd to the beach a 1 hour journey. On another bus to Venice Beach where we looked at all the markets along the promenade (including a Harley Davidson outlet) then walked up the beach back to Santa Monica. By then it was evening so we caught the long bus back and ate at El Gran Burrito, a small local restaurant in town. 7th Aug - After heading into the Union Station we walked through the central markets and on into Chinatown. That was interesting... one shop with dried food had shark fin and seahorses etc etc. We both didn't like it much, we prefer to see those things alive in the sea! We got all the tickets for our train trip, it took a couple of hours to get them but was sorted in the end.

Tags: los angeles

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.