Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

2022 is here

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 15 February 2022 | Views [183]

Who would have thought we'd be living though this pandemic just 2 full years ago. Of course we are very lucky here in paradise islands, we are just, apparently, going to be feeling the effects of the dreaded COVID now while the rest of the world has been suffering for almost 2 years. And that's all I want to say as it's been fine for some and terrible for others.

Our summer has been the same so far. It is hot hot hot. But not only that it is muggy muggy muggy. The humidity index has been off the charts for our country, we are not used to living in wet heat. I don't notice humidity much but have been feeling it too. The lakes and rivers and being well used I tell you.

A couple of weeks ago I joined with some other women and rode north up to Kaukapakapa and back over 2 days. It was a fabulous trip with great company and at 'Cowkop' we stayed the night at a friends home and had a swim and spa with drinkies and lots of laughs. After arriving back in Rotorua the next day I rode around Lake Taupo with friends on another excellent jaunt. Altogether over those 3 days we covered over 1100 kilometers in beautiful weather (it's cooler on the bike lol).

Our bathroom is still in a state of flux. Whilst the floor has been up Kent has tidied up the plumbing which was looking like a crazy mans efforts and moved the pipes away from above our downstairs rooms to behind the back wall. We have bought a vanity and a bath and the hot water is back on as cutoff taps have been installed. A way to go yet but getting there.

I am back learning Maori but this time full time and full immersion. My issue has always been that I can read and write it a bit now but when it comes to speaking my mind goes blank. It has always been a need of mine to speak Maori, I have no idea why this is, and I am glad to have this opportunity to move closer to this.

Kent's back which he broke last February is healing slowly and although it's hard for him to do some things still he is doing heaps better.  His sister moved over to Napier from Perth last year and we have been really enjoying having her here but last weekend on a trip down there she told us all that she is returning to Perth. We will really miss her, I don't think she realises how many people will feel the same but she must do what she needs to do.

I'm missing my mokopuna (grandchildren) but not enough time to see them at the moment. I have my eldest Kat each week to pick up after school and take to swimming lessons. She stays overnight which is cool, she is still going to school nearby.  They are growing up so fast, Veronica is now crawling and I haven’t even seen it!

Ah well, c’est la vie

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.