Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Fire! Fire!

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 10 December 2021 | Views [225]

Fire the boss!!  The bus was taken to have it's CoF but sadly it failed on some small and large things. Much frustration and discussion about the abilities and mindset of the testing officer ensued but despite the angst the work must be done. The bus was parked close to the huge shed, no small endeavour as it's a 10.5 mtr bus and the driveway is curved. Dad however is a great driver. 

Repair number 4 after the small jobs of indicators etc was rust on the front step below a now non-opening door. So Dad fabricated a new plate and set about welding it in place. All went well until it didn't...  We were inside with the children when a distressed slightly black figure appeared at the door - the bus was on fire! We all rushed out.

The fire was actually out now but we were all upset, worried, excited by it all.  Whilst welding under the step Dad had forgotten to check what was sitting above in inside the bus. Several flamable things were and proceeded to burst into flames when the temperature reached that point. Dad was made aware of the predicament when the glass in the door cracked with a loud BANG! He jumped up and ran into the bus, grabbed things and ran out with them setting alight a the back of two seats on the way by. Whilst running he realised he actually had a fire extinguisher right in the front of the bus by the fire so rushed back in and it was sorted quick smart.

The children were understandably upset especially when boogie boards and favorite folding chairs were now black and melted. Reminders were issued about the happiness they must feel that Dad was alive and the bus still ok and Christmas that is 3 weeks away.

I spent a day with a wet towel across my face in the front of the bus with no air cleaning all the dust from the extinguisher out of under the dashboard and front steps. It is horrible blue stuff that smells terrible and feels cancerous  :(  I also had to scrape off dollops of melted goop from the assorted burnt articles now thrown in the 'to the tip' trailer. I moved back into my small motorhome as the smell will be hanging about for a while in the bus.

So we are back on track and the holiday is still held in anticipation, they are heading north for Christmas after the 15th which is the day that Aucklanders are allowed to explode out of their lockdown of 3 months and carry all their money and germs to the rest of the country. I am planning to head south a day or two earlier than the explosion date in order to miss the long lanes of traffic that will no doubt ensue.

I've been here about 6 weeks and I'm really going to miss all this hectic lifestyle.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.