Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

April Special

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [667]

We are grandparents! :) 

My granddaughter had a due date of 10th April but didn't want to leave the comfort of the womb, understandable. On the 21st they took Rachel into the birthing unit at Middlemore Hospital to monitor her blood pressure and on Sunday 22nd they induced her. We figured that once it was started there was no going back so we decided to head up to Auckland.

The seat on our Harley unfortunately is not good for a pillion on a long journey but luckily a friend had a more padded seat to lend us so after swapping them over we headed north on one of the most beautiful, sunny, calm days we have had this year. We arrived in time to catch up on the news and later the nursing staff discussed with Luke and Rachel about the need to have baby by caesarean as nothing seemed to be progressing toward a natural birth.

Only one person allowed in surgery so Kent and I waited outside the theatre. I had my ear pressed to the entry doors and heard the first cry as she was born. Later Luke told me that she had started as soon as they pulled her head outside, before even half of her was out. It took a while for the sewing up and settling down etc then out they all came and we headed upstairs to a different ward where we got to cuddle and oh and ah over the most gorgeous little girl that has ever been born thus far.

The important info: 4100gr or 9lbs! No wonder she didn't want to come out the usual route! Very healthy and because of the way she was born no squished head. She has a good set of lungs but her cry isn't loud somehow. She has long fingers and big feet and some dark hair on her head.

So we enter another phase of our lives, that of grandparents. Everyone asks us what we are to be called but we don't really care, probably the baby will decide, so far she doesn't have a name either. The motorbike will get a few good rides methinks.

We left Auckland at 9pm leaving the happy new parents to have time to themselves to feed and sort baby out. The ride back was bloody freezing! We got to Cambridge and fell into a service station there where we had pies and hot drinks, luckily they had a vege pie for me. It was much harder for Kent being on the front but he doesn't feel the cold like I do, only his fingers were frozen. It was a good ride though.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.