Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

on our way to London, first stop Boston, Massachusetts

USA | Wednesday, 5 May 2010 | Views [677]

No problems with getting our United flight to Boston, on internal flights in USA you get charged (US$25 and up) for any checked bag you may have but our flight was part of an international one so we got our first checked bag free. We had gotten rid of a lot of our stuff at Elaines - the tent was returned to her with much thanks, clothes and diaries etc were sent back to NZ, many things were discarded. We left behind one pack and are now using one backpack and one big duffel bag, the extra we now have is a laptop each, along with our netbook we now have our Toshiba full size laptop again as well. Each laptop is in a bag of its own but luckily the airlines don't class it as an extra bag so we can take them onboard along with our usual cabin bag / handbag. It's a little wierd travelling with a bag instead of a pack on the back but am sure we'll soon get used to it. One delay was that this time they took Kent off and actually xrayed his prosthetic leg, that was good. In the past we have often thought about how easy it would be to carry things in his leg as it has never been checked before, took about 20 minutes but no drama.

The flight was interesting, got to see a bit of the countryside we flew over but there was a fair bit of cloud. We had the feeling of flying north but as you will see on the map at the bottom we were really just flying mostly east. Our route took us over some of the great lakes and believe us they are HUGE! It was like flying over an ocean.

Boston was very green, lots of trees and waterways. We headed out to sea a little and came in over the beach to land. It was early evening and we had good light but would only be stopping for a couple of hours before our 9pm flight on to Iceland. At Boston airport we had to find our way right across to another part of the airport so got some exercise, air and to see the alterations they are making along the way  :)  We also had to check out and in again through the usual xrays, scanners, etc etc. This time though Kent didn't get held up long and we are getting used to getting undressed (coats, shoes, belts off, everything out of pockets, laptops out of bags) and dressed again.

Can we now tick Massachusetts as another state visited???  Next stop = Iceland.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.