Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Scarsborough, Tobago

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Sunday, 21 February 2010 | Views [687]

Costs pp: Fast ferry from Trinidad TT$50, big double room (2ppl) with kitchen, ensuite and local tv at Balconet Apartment Hotel TT$150. Shared car from airport to Scarsborough TT$6, bus to Charlottesville TT$8, bus to Castaras TT$5, bus to Crown Point TT$2 (all from Scarsborough each way).

The ferry arrived around 6pm and Kent went walking to find a hotel but none on offer right there in the main town. In the end a taxi driver took us to Balconet Bay, it was dark by now, he said it was the cheapest hotel on offer in these parts. It is about 20 minutes easy walk from the ferry terminal along the coast. Nice big apartment with kitchen so we didn't have to buy food except for the first night. The cheapest food we could find was KFC and wasn't that nice.

We walked in and out of town each day we were there. The first day we caught a bus up to Charlottesville, the route took us along the coast of the island right to the top, about one and a half hours. Charlottesville is pretty with a nice beach but nothing else, we took some pics and wandered about for the half an hour the bus waited there and then returned with it to Scarsborough. The plan was then to take another bus across the island to the other side to a town called Castara. We waited an hour for the bus then an announcement was made that it wasn't going, the driver hadn't turned up for work! We had already bought tickets and it was a battle to get them refunded as the next Castara bus wasn't until another 2 hours, too late for us. The bus system is just not reliable here or in Trinidad.

Instead we took a bus south to a place called Crown Point near the airport and spent the afternoon at a beach there. When it came time to leave we missed the bus by about 2 seconds so decided to hitchhike, a car stopped straight away and on the journey we realised we had been picked up by a 'shared car' and we would have to pay, no-one knows about hitchhiking here.

We walked to town after checkout at 11am carrying our packs, lucky it's an easy walk but it was HOT! Got down to the airport after lunch and found a place to sit there with a table in the shade. Kent spent time doing his stuff on the netbook while Carol walked 5 minutes to Store Bay beach and had a swim in the beautiful clear blue water. Our flight with LIAT left for Grenada at 6.25pm and we had no problems, it took only half an hour.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.