Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Caracas, Venezuela

VENEZUELA | Saturday, 23 January 2010 | Views [1020]

Costs pp: flight from Sao Paulo to Caracas via Lima US$494. Bus from airport to Caracas 18vef. Metro .5vef local bus 1.5vef. big feed of parilla on the street 25vef.

We were lucky in our stop in Lima as, although we had to spend 12 hours in the airport and couldn't bring ourselves to pay the exhorbitant prices they wanted for food, we were able to withdraw US$ from the cash machines there. In Venezuela they have 2 currencies, the legal and the black market. The legal rate, the one you get if you withdraw vefs (venezuelan bolivares fuerte) from the ATM is 2.5vef to US$1 but on the black market you get between 5 - 6 vefs per US$. Not much of a choice there is there.

The plane arrived in Venezuela at 2am, no problems with customs or entry but the airport is about half an hour from the city of Caracas and we didn't want to be going there at that hour so we headed upstairs with a few other people and slept on the benches of the fast food place until the morning.

We changed US$20 at the airport for 5vefs per US$1 and while we were couchsurfing in Caracas changed more at a rate of 5.5vef. We had been worried about coming to Venezuela as it is talked about as such a violent place. Kent sat next to a man on the plane who said he has moved his family to Lima and now commutes to his job in Caracas because it is so dangerous. We have been so grateful for couchsurfing over our travels and have met some really wonderful people, it is an amazing project.

In Caracas we couchsurfed with Cri who lives in an apartment and took us out over the weekend to visit food markets and to an open air concert. She showed us that the city can be fun and safe if you are careful. We only had one full day to do things so only could do so much. However we can tell you that the metro is great, cheap and easy to use and there are some interesting museums and delicious food at the markets.

Next stop Choroni

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.