Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Foz do Iguaçu, Brasil

BRAZIL | Monday, 14 December 2009 | Views [1346]

Costs pp: Bus Puerto Iguazu to Foz do Iguacu town 5p they stop at the Argentine border while you get your exit stamp then drop you at the Brasil border and leave you there to process your entry and you use the same ticket (and same bus company) to travel on to the township.

Today the exchange rate is NZ$1 = 1.2 Brasilian Real

Storage at the Rodoviaria (bus terminal) was 4rs per pack, bus to local terminal then change at no cost to a bus to the falls 2.20rs. Falls entry 37.15rs, return bus to the Rodoviaria 2.20rs. You can pay all these amounts in Argentine pesos as well but the rate is not good. Last entry to the Falls is 5pm and the Park closes at 7.30pm, buses run all this time.

We were on the move so headed to the bus terminal in Foz to pick up our ticket onward and to store our bags for the day. The guy at the terminal in Puerto Iguazu lied to us about bus companies in Brasil not accepting credit cards, they certainly do, he just wanted us to buy with cash with him... We had caught a Crucero del Norte bus from Puerto Iguazu and think it would have taken us all the way to the national terminal but the driver dropped us at the local bus terminal instead. We decided to walk to the other but it was a bad decision as it was a long walk and a hot day. We picked up our bus ticket for the night bus to Ponta Grossa, stored our packs and jumped straight on a bus to the Falls, by now it was mid-afternoon.

At the Falls Kent was given free entry which was cool, while he would much rather have two legs a free ticket now and then is nice. We walked through a small display area about the National Park we were now in then boarded a decorated double decker bus to be transported to the Falls viewing point.

We had wondered if it was worth it going to this side of the Falls and did debate about it after receiving mixed reviews from other tourists. But now we can safely say that we feel it was definitely worth the effort and cost. The walkways are not as extensive as the Argentine side but the views are completely different and just as magnificent. Here you view the long part of the Falls from the front and get to be below part of the Garganta del Diablo / Devils Throat Falls as well as looking into and down them.

If you were in a rush you could see what you needed to see in about an hour and a half (you could never do the Argentine side in such a short time). We stopped for a picnic and Kent moved like a snail photographing all the insects on the way until Carol hurried him up a bit. We spent probably 3 hours there and that was a good amount. You only go one way as the bus drops you at one point and picks you up again when you get to the end, about 1.5kms walk.

The first view was the front of the long part of the Falls, it was very beautiful, picture perfect. We could see the launching area of the Argentine boats also. There were lots of insects, some butterflies, lizards and coatis on the path as we walked upriver toward the Devils Throat Falls which forms a semicircle of waterfalls that we looked down into on the Argentine side. At this point there is an elevator that takes you up to view the Throat and also a walkway down and out onto the falls. Everyone gets soaking wet on this walk but it is great, looking up at the falls behind you the sun makes a rainbow in the spray that is almost a full circle. We went out one at a time, leaving our bags with the other so as not to get them wet too.

That part is the end of the Brasilian side and you then go up in the lift to the top and walk out to the pickup area where the bus takes you back to the Park entry. We waited about 15 min for the bus to the local terminal and then about half an hour for another to the Rodoviaria.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.