Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Montevideo, Uruguay

URUGUAY | Friday, 20 November 2009 | Views [772]

after the practise the drums are dried out so the skins can restretch

after the practise the drums are dried out so the skins can restretch

Costs pp: bus from Colonia 185p, 2 scoop icecream 50p, local bus 25p (half hour journey toSolymar, Canelones)

We were met at the bus terminal by Lilian, had an icecream then boarded another bus to her area of town. Lilian lives with her 78 year old tiny mum who still works each day selling jewellery and plants in the market, and two very energetic dogs. Martin a friend came over in the evening and we had a lovely dinner together and some lively conversation, in english happily for Kent.

Martin took us on an exploration of Montevideo which also has an older area that in the past was fortified by a wall. All that stands now is the old entrance gate. There are some quite different buildings here, some straight from old Europe and others all curvey and corner ones with curved balconies. We had hoped to see a street band perform in the evening but it rained and didn't happen.

Sunday we walked from Lilians down to the beach, it was quite a distance but in the summer it would be a great beach to go to. Right now it is still a bit cool, the beach is golden sand and wide, there were some surfers out tho the waves were small. In the evening we all headed into town again and this time the street drumband was in action. We followed it down the street while it played its particular style of music called 'Candombe' which appears to be influenced from the Caribbean. The street was full of people, some dancing, some drinking, some not.

We were sad to pack up and be on our way, we have grown close to Lilian even in so short a time, and of course the crazy dogs. Next stop Punto del Este.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.