Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

San Agustin

COLOMBIA | Tuesday, 2 June 2009 | Views [2278]

Carol at the Archeological site in San Agustin

Carol at the Archeological site in San Agustin

We arrived after a very fast (for central america and colombia) 9 hour bus trip overnight from Bogota. Went looking for a place to camp and got invited into a womans house to use her spare room for 7,000. This was a lucky thing as it started to rain that night and continued to rain the 3 days and 2 nights we were there. Despite this we fell in love with this area of Colombia, the hills are majestic and like the most beautiful countryside in NZ magnified.

We walked on the first day from our lodging to the Archiological Park where they have small and huge statues that are of unknown origin. The statues were really cool, some of them seemed to be kind of a cross between human and monkey but maybe that was just their art. We figure we walked about 12km or more going there, around the park and back again. The lodgings were up a hill as steep as Tihiotonga in Rotorua and we realise we are fit because we can now just stroll up it.

The second day we took a tour in a jeep which lasted all day, it rained on and off but not enough to spoil the trip. We travelled with a mother and daughter from Slovakia. The trip lasted from 9am to 5pm and cost us 25000 each, a really good deal. We saw all the touristy stuff of course but also the beautiful countryside and other towns. Carol got her thrills by riding on the back of the jeep in the open air as often as the rain would permit. It was a slidy, bumpy, fun day. Even had a close encounter with a bank - with so much rain the roads were often small lakes and the banks just mush. The driver lost concentration for a moment and into the mush we went. We were then entertained by another vehicle trying to pull it out. Both vehicles were 4WD but neither used this!

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.