Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

San Salvador - el capital (updated 1/3)

EL SALVADOR | Friday, 27 February 2009 | Views [1011]

Kent,Carol,Amado & Fran (from Spain)

Kent,Carol,Amado & Fran (from Spain)

We spent the morning at the beach having one last swim and body board in the lovely warm pacific ocean, amazing to think we are sharing the same ocean and are so far away. Back to Garys hotel where we had stored our packs and sorted out some stuff on our usb flashdrive while Carol swam in the hotel pool then sunbathed. In the afternoon we finally got on the bus to head to San Salvador and our new couchsurfing friend Amado who lives on the outskirts of the capital.

The evening we arrived Amado took us out to a concert at the Anthropological Museum complex. It was a modern/contempory music evening and both of us had trouble understanding or liking some of the pieces performed (some of it was ok). It was interesting anyway.

Today Amado took us to visit the Museum of Words and Pictures which is about the revolution that took place here about 18 years ago. It was interesting and thought provoking. San Salvador is a big city with streets going everywhere so it was great to have Amado as our guide. He headed home after that and we roamed the city and found a museum of science that has a connection to Stephen Hawkins. This evening we cooked a typical NZ dinner for Amado and another (Spanish) couchsurfer who is here too. Nothing spectacular just meat, tatties and salad.

On Sunday we went to town again on our old favorite the #101 bus (.20c each) that drops us right by the museums. We take the big buses because the small ones are definitely crazy and quite scary, they go so fast and are crazy in the traffic. We spent time at the Museum of Anthropology ($3 each) which was really interesting (see the pics) then went to the Art Museum which was also great (and free on Sundays). Back to Santa Tecla where Amago lives and spent some time in the marketplace, it comes alive on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Monday we will move on, perhaps to Alegria or to San Francisco Gotera.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about El Salvador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.