Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Suchitoto

EL SALVADOR | Monday, 23 February 2009 | Views [1419]

After leaving the internet cafe we walked to the bus terminal passing on the way a dead man on the street. He had been cordened off by the police but lay in a pool of blood uncovered. The bus to Suchitoto was ready to leave with the usual guy hanging out the door calling out the names of the places the bus stops at. This calling is incomprehensable to us and sounds like a continuous long line of random sounds. The bus trips are always interesting with all sorts of passengers and items coming on and off. Wood, coffee, chickens, fizzy drinks etc etc. One minute the bus is full the next it's empty. The bus itself has to manouver thru all sorts of streets and traffic, today we had to pass a truck which was unloading stuff, the bus only had enough space to pass by backing and reversing until it was dead straight on to the space. Amazing that the truck people didn't even take any notice of the havoc they were causing. The countryside here is quite dry (rainy season starts in May) but still green. Women here openly breastfeed their babies wherever they are, noone stares or worries.

We finally got to Suchitoto where we were to couchsurf with Roberto. The town is very picturesque and sits on a hill above a long lake. Roberto runs a small hotel & restaurant and we are staying in his dorm room for free which is slightly strange but really nice. Roberto himself is originally from Michigan but has been living in El Salvador for more than 15 years now. He is a generous, interesting, well informed quaker and we have had some excellent conversations with him. He is very involved in the social developement side of ES and works with local NGO's (Non Government Organisation) here.

Kent has caught a chill from the changing temperatures we've been travelling thru and spent yesterday in bed. Carol walked down the steep hill to the lake and back and around the town then in the evening went to a concert in the local theatre, a pianist and tenor and soprano (who reminded her a lot of Belinda). Today, another beautiful sunny day we have been walking around town and now here on the net talking to all of you!  We hope everything is going well with you wherever you are  :@)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about El Salvador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.