Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Malaga, Spain a very special day for us!

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 22 October 2023 | Views [33]

Today was one of the most looked forward to days on our trip. Here in Malaga we were to meet up with Gus who we first met in 2010 in Venezuela when we couchsurfed with his family. We have been in close touch with Gus throughout his life as he has gone through many changes of country, work, and family circumstances. He is an awesome young man and we were so looking forward to this day that we were one of the first off the ship to meet up with him.

Gus, who is living in Madrid, got a train down to Malaga. Trains are wonderful in Europe and go everywhere at not that much of a cost. Travel is fast, comfortable and often there are food and coffee dispencers on the trains also. It was a very emotional meetup. We can't express how great it was to be able to spend this day with him. 

We walked down the waterfront talking all the way, nothing to 'catch up' on but everything to catch up on if you know what I mean.

We caught the bus up to the Castillo de Gibralfaro which gave fabulous views out over the city and down below into a Bullring. Gus and I talked while Kent explored. Back on the bus and off to visit the Museo Picasso, then lunch in one of the many (in a row) restaurants. Gus picked and did all the ordering, our waiter was also from Venezuela as were some others working there. Gus is very personable and everyone is very pleased to chat with him lol.

We are really enjoying the food part of this trip where in each city we get to explore we try to find the local fare and beer. It's a yum yum tour for sure.

We started walking back to the dock as the day had disappeared before we were ready for it. About half way we realised we were not going to beat time after all and Gus hailed a taxi driven by a very young man just starting out. We made it back to the ship one of the last to board and hurriedly said our tearful goodbyes and raced onboard. Up to the top deck to wave out to Gus from the back of the ship but it was very windy and he couldn't hear us yelling so didn't know we were there. Of course the ship didn't close down the ramps immediately so we could have spent a little longer in saying goodbye rather than the rush we had. Being first time cruisers we are finding out a lot of these things as we go.

We are hoping Gus will visit us in New Zealand in or before 2025 for as long as he can and will get to see what our lives are like here.

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.