Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Syracuse and Valletta, Malta

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 7 October 2023 | Views [67]

We have been given a cruise card, same size as a credit card, which will do everything for us in relation to this ship. It gets us in and out of our cabin, puts any purchases onboard onto our account, records us when going on and off the ship so they know who is missing.

I got up for the morning workout on the pool deck then lay and dozed in the sun in a deckchair until another dance workout started so got up and into that, it was great.

At 2pm 7 Oct we arrived at Syracuse on the island of Sicily, following the instructions we'd sorted in NZ we left the ship and walked over the bridge into Ortigia. First we went looking for a Pharmacy as Kent had stump problems, unfortunately arriving at that time means everyone and most shops are shut for a 2 hour lunch. We wandered looking for The museum of Leonardo Da Vinci and Archimedes which we found in a small back street. It was very interesting with working models of Da Vinci's drawings.

Back to the Pharmacy and also to an optician where they sorted Kent's glasses without charge. We walked the streets of Syracuse and I found it a very pretty and calm relaxing place. We found our way into a church where a couple were getting married then found a shop that was selling cream cones full of ricotta cheese the consistancy of a cream freeze, boy was it yummy!

We found ourselves at the battlements of the port but sadly were unable to explore it as it was just closing. We watched the sun setting and more newly weds having photo's taken as we walked back along the sea front. Walking on into the town proper we found a nice pizza restaurant where we had a wonderful meal and Kent his local beer. A short walk back to the wharf and ship after a very nice day. On the ship I slept through the evening show as soon as they dimmed the lights lol.

8 Oct we arrived at the city of Valletta on the small island of Malta and discovered it is a British protectorite. We arrived in the port as we were having breakfast so took lots of pics of the lovely views. The town is up on battlements so we walked along below until we found a lift to take us up into the town. After walking through the Upper Barrocca Garderns we found ourselves in a central square and St John's church which was jaw droppingly ornate inside. The walls were covered with ornate gold and painted walls and ceilings but the most amazing part was the floors. The floors were made of the gravestones of the knights of Malta and were mosaic marble. No pics as a service was being held (in Latin) and it seemed disrespectful to do so. 

It was early so the streets were emptyish, we ended up at Fort St Elmos where we bought combo tickets and spent hours exploring the Fort and then watching a movie on Malta, all very interesting. Back out onto the, by now, very busy streets to find lunch and ended up in a food hall where we ate 'Maltese Street Food' served by an Indian guy and cooked by Asians lol. The food (rabbit stew was the local go to which Kent had) was excellent.

More of a wander then headed back to the ship. Kent loved Malta and wants to move there when he retires.

Dinner at the Black Crab and the show was ABBA so I went on my own haha.

9 Oct was a lazy day at sea and clocks back an hour.

Next stops Santorini and Mykonos

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.