Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

A very sad week

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 24 March 2020 | Views [422]

It started off good with WOMAD (World of Music and Dance) in New Plymouth. I go every year and camp from Friday to Monday and go each day and have an awesome experience. This year on the Sunday I had just gone into the grounds when I received a message from my brother to say my Mum who lives in a Resthome in Auckland was not expected to live for long.

I drove straight up to Auckland and stayed there in the home with her until she passed on on the Tuesday morning. My mother was 97 years old. She had dementia so had left us a few years ago, but it was still painful and sad to let her go.

Our family gathered together on the Saturday to farewell her both locally and internationally.

As you can imagine the timing was difficult, a nephew and niece had arrived back in NZ on the Friday but were unable to attend because of the self isolation rule. But today New Zealand is preparing for a full lockdown, today we are level 3 and after tomorrow level 4. If Mum had died this week I would not only not have been able to go to her but our family would not have been able to gather and farewell her.

I'm very grateful for these small mercies.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.