Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

May B for Birthday

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 17 May 2017 | Views [620]

I had a wonderful birthday this year. It was a lovely day and I couldn't think of anything more enjoyable than using my bike as it will get cold and gloomy soon enough. I rode to Maori class, the class was fun and interesting, my brain is not the best on remembering words but luckily now there are many around me who speak the reo so I hope it will be easy to continue on my path with their help. At the end of class I couldn't imagine just riding home so I went the long way, around Mount Ngongotaha. A curvy road not too long but beautiful winding through Paradise Valley, made even more lovely by the autumn colours of the countryside. Nearing home I found I still didn't want to return so I headed up to the top of the mountain and found a sign saying "come in for coffee and a scone' so I did.

It's been 38 years since I went to Aorangi Peak Restaurant at the top of Mt Ngongotaha. How do I know? I was 9 months pregnant with my son when I went there with his father on one of his work do's. Then it was a top notch restaurant with service and prices to match but now it is less so and seems to be more of a fast food restaurant for asians. I was there about an hour and a half and at least half a dozen mid sized buses came through in that time. The dining room has large tables and bench seats for fast service and eating. The view however remains the same - absolutely stunning! You can see from the top of Lake Rotorua right across to Lake Rotoiti, the city and all the farmland surrounding the city. I chatted with a couple of different people off the buses, english being an issue but not unsurmountable then sat with my coffee and muffin (served with butter, jam and cream!) and devoured it and the view.

In the evening my friends had organised a group dinner at one of their houses and it was a wonderful evening with wonderful food and such great company. I am so lucky with those who choose to be part of my life, thank you.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.