Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Botswana and back to Jo'burg

BOTSWANA | Friday, 12 August 2016 | Views [677]

Back to Maun and on the way the clutch gave up in our Land Cruiser. We first flagged down a ute but it was a French tourist who said 'too complicated' and drove off and left us there. The second vehicle was a delivery truck, he immediately got out a tow rope and hauled us all the way back to Maun about an hours drive. We got back to the Lodge to discover our rooms weren't ready so we went and had lunch, still no rooms so they gave us other rooms, great. Went to those rooms to find they weren't ready either so headed into town and up in a plane for an hour's flight out over the Okavango Delta. It is a huge flat space with some waterways greening up the land around. I didn't get to see many animals but the others did. The plane was a small 6 seater, loud and hot. It was interesting but I wouldn't bother to do it again. The others felt the same, the ones who went over the Victoria Falls in a helicopter said that was way better.

We had our second meal at Maun Lodge and the food is very good, we met an Italian guy who we invited to join us at our table as he was on his own. Our group is doing well together except for one of the couples who are very staid and don't really know how to relax. The other two kiwi couples and one American woman are just great to travel with and we laugh all day and enjoy one anothers company. That is also one of the best parts of the trip, the company, which includes our guide Anthony who has a great sense of humour and an amazing knowledge of land, animals and birds.

Next stop Makgadikgadi and units in the bush beside my favorite tree the Baobab. An evening drive not seeing much game and a braai and sit around the fire. In the morning we saw Leopard tracks right past our unit lol, darn it we should have sat up longer. That day was spent looking around the Rhino reserve there and we got to see 5 Rhino's including a baby and two males quite close, also lots of other game, it was a great day.

Our last stay was at the Tuli game reserve where we got up close and personal with a hyena family and got very close to the pups. We also got to climb a hill and sit on rocks high above the dry Limpopo river and have eagles soar just over our heads. We stayed in woodframed permanent tents with ensuites for 2 nights. The first night we were visited by lions and hyenas so tried but failed to sit up on the second night but no visits anyway.

Next day was a full days drive back to Johanesburg and the realisation that our tour was over. There was excitement and noise and baths and words and walks and drinkees and tears and goodbyes as we each headed to our planes.

Our next stop is Perth, Australia where we stay 4 days with Kent's sister then on to Gold Coast to stay 4 days with daughter and granddaughter.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.