Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

WOW!!!

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 29 June 2014 | Views [892]

The ET highway was a big nothing, just fairly boring road and no views of anything, no visiting aliens... Got to the highway from Las Vegas to St George and there were road works so it was backed up a fair way, we stopped for a bite to eat and contemplate the road then decided we just had to get on with it. The problem being the heat, at over 100 degrees it is not nice having to sit on a hot road between hot cars and trucks. However we had the good luck to get on behind another biker who road the shoulder and passed by all the stopped traffic, we just tagged on along behind him, life saver! Driving into St George was an event in itself, up through a big canyon. We were lucky enough to stay with family in St George and even luckier that they had a pool. It was wonderful to stay in a home rather than a motel room. Thankyou so much Rachael, Teia & Sans.

Next morning we headed for Zion National Park up route 9, lucky we went early as it filled up with cars, motorhomes and buses pretty quick. The route we took took us right through the back part of the park. There was an option to do part of it on a shuttlebus but we stayed on the bike only getting off to walk a mile to a viewing point that looked out over the canyon we had just driven up.

Out the other side we turned left onto route 89 which took us up a green valley which was lovely to drive through. Also in that valley was the Red Canyon which was amazing. Right onto route 12 and into Bryce Canyon. We were lucky enough to talk to a guy in a shop who told us the best way to view the canyon and we followed his advise. We rode the 18 miles to the end viewing point then on the return journey stopped at all the viewing points which were on the righthand side of the road. They were all excellent viewing, amazing shapes and colours.

On up route 12 to find that this is the most fantastic road we have travelled on thus far, including all the parks we have been in. The vistas on this road are absolutely beyond description. Needless to say we ran out of batteries we took so many photos. At one point we looked out over colourful canyons as far as the eye could see, at another we drove along a road on the ridge of a hill with drops off each side of the road.

Right onto route 24 and followed a riverbed with more amazing rock formations until we got to Hanksville, yes it's as small as it sounds but luckily had a good motel and a gas station.

Next day we took the 95 south and the long way around to Moab and Arches National Park. A great road with wonderful and unexpected views out over Lake Powell and the usual huge amazing red rock formations that are Utah/Colorado. Arches was hot and a bit much for me but we rode through it and viewed the 'Windows' before heading back to Moab for cold drinks.

Tonight we are in Grand Junction at a motel with a pool (bliss), dinner from the market across the street and now sleep... Denver tomorrow!

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.