Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

End of Route 66 and beginning of trip back to Kansas

USA | Sunday, 22 June 2014 | Views [685]

Today we reached the Santa Monica Pier, the end of Route 66. Yesterday to get there we crossed the Mojave Desert, it was a long hot day riding in temperatures of up to 108 degrees. I enjoyed the heat but it took a lot out of me (Kent was fine with it) and I was had it by the time we got to Ontario, California. The good things were the salad and cherry malt we had at Peggy Sues in Needles for lunch and the nice cool pool at the motel at the end of the day. In the evening there was a celebratory dinner and casual awards ceremony where the three of us Kiwi couples were congratulated on being part of the ride and Kent & I were given a large Route 66 flag which we got signed by many of the rally riders we bonded with over the last 10 days.

Tonight we are in Morro Bay, a beauful little spot on the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco. After leaving the pier we rode with two friends up highway 1 and 101 to here, about 180 miles but it took 7 hours because of traffic and stopping for lunch. Even though we blast along the freeways at around 75 – 80 mph time seems to get eaten up here and there, one way or another.

Tomorrow we ride to San Fransisco on up the coastline again and we get to spend two nights / one day there. It will be nice to have a day on our feet and off the bike, even though it's great to ride.

 

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.