Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Now in Clinton, Oklahoma

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 18 June 2014 | Views [853]

We are riding long days and arriving at our motels in the early evening in time for a shower, quick swim if there is a pool, some dinner, organise our clothes for tomorrow and sleep. The motels advertise WIF'I but it isn't good and often doesn't even operate so I don't get a chance to do the blog.

We have had fantastic luck with the weather, we are now riding in hot country but have had cloud cover which has kept us cooler and today wind that buffeted me about but didn't bother the big bike.

Yesterday we rode with the big group but Kent found it hard as they keep changing their speed and sometimes you get behind a person that has a riding style that makes you feel uncomfortable. Today we rode all day in a group of 5 bikes the front one being a trike. The best bit for me is the company of the other riders, I like it when we all eat together and I go and sit with someone and talk with them about their life and where they are from etc.

We are visiting museums and curios along the route 66 and they are always interesting. When we ride on the actual old road it is neat, it is a slower ride through countryside with not much other traffic. However the old route is not all there, sometimes it runs alongside us, full of weeds and broken, ending randomly, sometimes it is not there at all. When we can we ride on it. Today we rode what is called the ribbon road, a section of the very earliest part of the road which is only just visible under gravel. It is as wide as 5 men standing shoulder to shoulder and is asphelt with a concrete border.

We are both well and really enjoying our journey thus far.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.