Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

April in Rotorua

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 16 April 2011 | Views [792] | Comments [2]

We have had some much cooler weather in the end of March and definitely feel autumn on its way. This is a magic time in Rotorua with the beautiful colours on the trees going from yellow all through the range to a deep red. The sun still has plenty of heat in it when you are in a sheltered spot. 

As they say 'it doesn't rain but it pours...' Our hopes of being able to refresh the grounds of our house and that was all have turned to dust. We discovered that there has been a long ongoing leak in the bathroom wall that has caused the floor underneath the bath to disintegrate. Kent is about to pull the bath out now to see how bad it all really is and to dry it all out. As it probably has been going on for a few years it's all an unknown at this point. One sure thing is that it is going to cost money and as usual the insurance company has an out, since it is a long term thing they will only pay $1,500 less the excess which is $400 so that won't leave much toward the job.

However it could be worse, and it is a job we can do a lot of ourselves. As soon as the job is done we will rent it out again and decide what to do with ourselves. A lot of that decision making will rest on what medical intervention is required for Carol. She has had the mastectomy and is healing well, there is a 6 week to 2 month wait before she gets to see an oncologist who will tell her what they feel should be the next course of action eg chemo &/or radiation therapy or even nothing at all.

We have moved out of our bedsit (had to go outside and upstairs to use the bathroom) and are boarding with our friend Mike now. We are very grateful to our friends and family who have sent good wishes and flowers while Carol was unwell.

We still plan to travel some more you know - just not sure when that will be!!!

Comments

1

NICE MEET YOU HERE ON COUCHSURFING!
IT IS AN URGENT REQUEST, I AM NOW ARRIVING IN ROTORUA BECAUSE I HITCHHIKED TO WAITOMO, AND THE NICE DRIVER SAID HE WAS GOING TO ROTORUA SO THAT IS WHY I CAME, NOW IS MONDAY AFTERNOON, SO COULD I STAY AT YOUR PLACE ONLY FOR ONE OR TWO NIGHT! THANKS A LOT !!
ALL THE BEST,
JASON
PS, IF IT IS OK FOR YOU TO HOST ME, COULD YOU PLEASE TEXT ME OR GIVE ME A CALL,MY NUMBER IS 0220960949!

  Jason May 9, 2011 1:14 PM

2

sorry, I know you from World hospitality not couchsurfing...

  Jason May 9, 2011 1:16 PM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.