Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Ilha Grande, Brazil

BRAZIL | Monday, 11 January 2010 | Views [967]

Costs pp: bus Parati to Angra 8.40rs, 3pm ferry to Ilha Grande 6.50rs (on the weekend 14rs) each way, camping 18rs.

We caught the 10.30am bus to Angra which got us there a bit too early really. Angra has suffered some loss of life and homes from land subsidence. There has been much more than the usual amount of rain over the winter season and as a result some of the hillsides upon which Angras community is built have slid away, taking homes and people with them. The ferry to Ilha Grande was due to leave at 3pm so we sat a while in the shade on the dock then when the ticket office opened at around 1.30pm we got our tickets and were allowed straight on board. We found a seat outside on the deck in the shade and Carol lay down and promptly fell asleep.

The journey was about 40 minutes through very calm seas arriving in the town of Abraao the only village of size on Ilha Grande. It is picturesque and the seas at last clean and ready for swimming in. We met a young couple on board who were also going camping and they showed us where to go to a good camping spot. The campground had excellent facilities but just dirt ground, no grass, but it did have a huge tree very necessary for shade in the daytime. We thought the 18rs per person fee for camping was a bit high until we found that the price for a dorm bed at the local youth hostel is 50rs! Time we broke out the tent again anyway.

The first night was fine and Carol spent the next morning swimming and lying in the sun on the beach. Kent joined her in the afternoon and then we watched a huge black front approaching from the mainland. We headed back and made sure the tent was all zipped up and ready for the deluge then headed for the bock to by an acai and sit under shelter and watch the lightning display. We got some great shots of the lightning streaking across the sky and also forking down to the sea and to the beach in front of us. It continued to rain through the night but the tent managed to keep us dry. Kent wanted to head off the next day, the heat is too much for him. So we packed up and caught the 10 am ferry back to Angra. We did miss out on the opportunity to walk thru the bush to other more beautiful bays 2 to 3 hours away, there are also boat rides available each day for those with more pingers than us.

Next planned stop Parati-Mirim.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.