Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

A Wet St Thomas & St John 2019

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 28 May 2019 | Views [252]

It rained as I stepped on to US Virgin islands and it rained harder when I left. It was a wet day but at least it was warm The weather didn't stop me exploring although it should have. I started the day with a drive around the island which showed me the rough side of the island. I guess the money is spent in and aorund the bays and beaches and the middle is just left as it is. Rubbish and broken down cars left by the way side. I guess tourists don't come this far into the island. I know there were 2 main hurricanes that affected this island, Irma and Maria but those buildings are either fixed or left as is. It doesn't explain the rubbish though.

Actually my favourite stop was Sapphire beach. Even with the rain it was beautiful and peaceful. The main mountain stop to see the place where the most banana daiquiris have been sold didn't interest me much, it was 7 million by the way. Obviously the main reason was the view from the top but alas because of the weather all I could see was mist and fog. There wasn't a slightest view of the amazing Magens Bay. I think if the weather was nicer I wouldn't feel like I didn't want to bother going anywhere and the places we stopped at was not very photogenic shall we say. It really proves that weather really affects your feelings when travelling and may even affect your views of the place you are exploring.

As I had time and I was done with St Thomas, and there was another island nearby, I knew I had to catch the ferry to St John, the other US Virgin island. The ferry was every hour on the hour and took 20 minutes. It was still raining but not so much on St John. The ferry docked near Cruz Bay and I went to check it out. I couldn't get far as I had no transport and not much time until the next ferry. So it was just a stroll around the town with its chickens and the nearest beach. Then it was on the ferry back to St Thomas. It was still raining. I was done.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.