Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

St Maarten

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES | Thursday, 16 February 2017 | Views [250]

The smallest island in the world that is shared by two sovereign nations, Netherlands and France. Philsburg is the capital of the Dutch side and Marigot is the capital of the French side. I had a free bus tour of the island and stopped off at many scenic sites. I had a swim in the sea in Grand Case. It was a clear blue sea and hot sunshine. The island is notorious for it's airport. It's the world's most dangerous airport. If you go to Maho Beach you will not only see the plane but feel it and probably touch it too as it lands. Again this island's history is steeped in slavery. Funny that the French side abolished slavery approx 15 years earlier than the Dutch side. I wondered if crossing over the border was easy or not especially for the slaves. To call your neighbours across the other side is deemed an international call and expensive. It's cheaper to get a bus and go over and give them the message yourself. Across the way 30 minutes by ferry are the islands of Anguilla and St Barths. There islands for the price of one.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands Antilles

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.