Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

St Kitts & Nevis

SAINT KITTS & NEVIS | Thursday, 16 February 2017 | Views [246]

This was two Caribbean islands for the price of one. I had a free tour booked at 2pm so decided to spend the morning exploring the smaller of the two sister islands. I headed to the ferry terminal and bought my ticket. The return trip was at 1pm and the journey was 45 minutes so I was cutting it a bit fine. I boarded the ferry and went for it. The ferry docked into Charleston and I wondered what I was going to do for the next 2 hours in this little town. There wasn't many tourists around to get a good deal or join a tour. An old man showed some Americans to the taxi rank. I asked him about an island tour and he told me it would be $100 a taxi. He then asked how much I had as I didn't have $100. I said all I had was $40 and he said come with I'll take you around. This dude was so cool. He drove me around the island for over 2 hours telling me stories and the history about each place. He even took me to 2 beaches Lime and Oualie and even took me to the 4 seasons to check it out. Nevis is the birth place of Alexander Hamilton. Horatio Nelson is also famous here as he took up with a local lady and married her. This place has the usual history of slaves. Where they were housed and where they were bought and sold.

The tour ended and I headed for the ferry terminal hoping the ferry wouldn't be late. It was 5 minutes late and we arrived back on St Kitts at ten to 2pm. As soon as I got off the ferry I ran all the way to the cruise shore excursion meeting point. I ran past many minibuses with tourists in and was hoping they were not mine. I ran past many people and got to the meeting point and saw a group of people sitting down. Just as I arrived a lady held up my tour placard and I made it just in the nick of time. We boarded the minibus and headed for our panoramic tpur of the island.

It was definitely a panoramic tour as the views were spectacular. The best of the islands I have visited yet. It also had that Caribbean feel that the other 2 didn't have. The smells and looks of the place was completely different to the Dutch Antilles. Fregget Bay was the best. It was the point where you see where the Caribbean and the Atlantic oceans met. The local wildlife here are monkeys and I got to see a few crossing the roads in Nevis. Saw some animals that looked more like meerkats than monkeys on St Kitts. After a couple of hours driving around we headed back to the capital of Basseterre. That place wasn't much to look at. When you arrive in this town you want to head out either by bus, ferry or taxi...to anywhere more prettier.

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Saint Kitts & Nevis

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.