Existing Member?

Shazza's Escapades Light hearted look at my travel escapades

Namibia 2011

NAMIBIA | Wednesday, 27 July 2011 | Views [313]

A few words to describe my thoughts on Namibia, cold, windy and bloody sandy. I forgot how cold it can get in Africa especially at night. Seeing as we were camping, more blankets were definitely needed.

Or first stop was Orange River Canyon, not that spectacular, but memorable for me as one of my camp mates thought that I was 22 years old. Loved it and we became mates straight away.

The night in Spitskop was truly memorable. My tent mate and I could not sleep. I assumed we were in some kind of wind tunnel as it felt like our tent was being picked up and dropped every five minutes. This continued all night. I did drop off between being picked up and dropped by the wind only to shout out something about a monkey and scaring the crap out of my tent mate and myself.

I loved Dune 45, not at first as the thought of getting up at 5am to catch the sunrise was not appealing one bit. But when I got there and started the walk or should I say shuffle as it’s the only way to walk up sand, it was just brilliant. I was a bit scared going down and I didn’t run down like some of my camp mates and I certainly didn’t go down on my arse like my tent buddy did. I really didn’t fancy an arse cheek full of sand before I had my breakfast. I slowly waddled down and eventually broke into a run and couldn’t stop till I reached the bottom. So much fun.

Swakopmund was a haven only because we had a hotel for 2 whole nights. No tents and no wind or cold spells to wake us during the night. The town was tiny and as it was a weekend most shops were closed in the afternoon. You couldn’t even buy alcohol on weekends after 1pm and nothing on a Sunday. That really messed up my room mates plans as she was going through a bottle of wine a night. We acquired new nicknames on this trip, I was the bitch and she was the lush…kind of appropriate I thought.

The cheetah park was awesome, lovely cheetahs and the guy who ran the farm was a complete hottie!

I was looking forward to visiting the Himba Village and was not disappointed. I like people walking around with no clothes on and the ladies at this village loved having their photos taken. They were such show offs and they had beautiful hair and skin. They don’t wash themselves; they just apply a red dye (ohcre) to their bodies and hair.

Next stop was Etosha National Park. Let the safari begin…what a great start. We saw a pride of lions, all female and cubs just walking and minding their own business. Our great big orange overland truck didn’t even spook them. After that we saw about a gazillion elephants, giraffes, zebras and impalas and springboks. Great safari.

 

 

About shaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.